Jessops Teleconverters

W

whiteflyer

I am considering get a teleconvertor for my 70-200 2.8, now the obvious choice would be a Canon one, but just seen that Jessops also do them. How much better will a Canon one be and has anybody used a Jessops version.

I would not be using it all the time and there is a huge price difference Canon £200 Jessops £80

I use a Sigma one on my 70-200 2.8 (sigma)

Like you i looked at the differnet makes and the Sigma was the best price / performance.

Got it for just over £100.

If you need to try one, you are quite welcome to pay a visit and have a 'play'

I think value for money is with the Kenko for 1.4x it has good IQ, but if your after 2x the Canon is better imho.
Edit: never tried a Jessops tc

I may be talking out of what I should be sitting on,
but if I remember correctly, the 3rd party extenders work with a greater range of lenses than the Canon ones
you have to watch out for the rear elements smacking into the extender at one end of the focal range

I may be talking out of what I should be sitting on,
but if I remember correctly, the 3rd party extenders work with a greater range of lenses than the Canon ones
you have to watch out for the rear elements smacking into the extender at one end of the focal range

You are right the Canon 1.4x sticks out further than the Kenko
Not sure on the 2X

Both the Canon extenders stick out. I think the Jessops 2x is a rebadged Kenko but I am not sure. I've used one of the Jessops ones and it's not too bad. Canon is sharper but much more expensive.

I've got Canon, Kenko and Sigma 1.4x's and Canon and Sigma 2x's.
1.4x....The Canon is definately the sharpest in the centre of the image but the Kenko is better overall. The Sigma has good IQ but had a very different colourcast to the other two....tests done on an EF300/4.
For the 2x the Canon is way ahead of the Sigma based on my copies.
I personally wouldn't go for a 2x with the 70-200 (again, based on my Canon 70-200/2.8)....the 2x really is best suited to the primes.
Best VFM on your APS-C camera would be the Kenko 1.4...IMHO but others would probably disagree.
Bob

Another vote for the Kenko here.

I use the 2x with a 70-300 lens and obtain nice sharp images. Never used a 1.4x though so don't know how they would compare.

Anth

Thanks for the info chaps, I'll probably go for the 1.4 Kenko or wait awhile and get a 2X Canon, from Kerso

As a follow-up to this - am I right in thinking that for IS versions of Canon Lenses - only the Canon T/C's will tigger the IS as well as AF? Or does it not matter and they all trigger the IS & AF?

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Can anyone answer Sadly's question as I'm interested too?

Sorry but I can't answer the question abut the IS, but as an update I did buy the Canon 1.4 in the end. Not used it in anger yet as it but the build quality looks first rate (as you would expect at £175)

Back