JFK Assassination 1963 vs 2011

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all. Joined the forum a couple of days ago and thought I would post this for starters. I think this is probably the right section for it.

Whilst in Dallas last year I kept myself amused by trying to recreate some of the photos taken on the day of Kennedy's assassination. Here are the results...

We pick up the presidential motorcade as it turns from North Harwood Street onto Main Street, about 1 mile from Dealey Plaza. The President is with his wife Jackie, Texas governor John Connally and his wife Nellie.

5897652663_78d2ef6ce3_z.jpg

Crowds lined Main Street to welcome the President. Bob Jackson of the Dallas Times Herald took this photo at North Ervay Street and Main Street about 3 minutes before the assassination.

5898218320_cdf589bf12_z.jpg

The motorcade continued down Main Street.

5897654485_5f34082798_z.jpg

At the end of Main Street the limo turned onto Houston Street. This is the first time the President has been in view of the Book Depository. Eerily he is touching the right side of his head.

5898222466_9cc26b75ba_z.jpg

The motorcade continued down Houston Street, approaching the left turn onto Elm Street.

5898233384_032767fc08_z.jpg

This picture was taken by witness Robert Croft just after the limo turned onto Elm Street. Jackie Kennedy appears to be looking directly at the camera. The photo was taken around frame 161 of Abraham Zapruder's film, when the 1st shot, which missed completely, was fired. You will all have seen the Zapruder film but if not click here.

The cross on the road indicates the approximate location of Kennedy when the 2nd shot hit him and Connally.

5897670641_06eb610dfd_z.jpg

This is Jim Altgen's famous photo, just after the 2nd shot has injured both Kennedy and Connally. The boy is stood on a cross which marks the approximate location of Kennedy when he was hit by the 3rd, and fatal, shot.

5897660193_12d21d489c_z.jpg

This is Mary Moorman's infamous photograph taken milliseconds after the fatal headshot. You can just make out Zapruder and assistant standing on the pergola. The cross on the road is where the boy was stood in the previous photo.

5897667917_3a5eda97ba_z.jpg

Here we see Mary Moorman (in the black coat) capturing the previous photo. The grassy knoll is on the other side of the road, with a big yellow sign stating 'Grassy Knoll'.

5898230150_643ee4f960_z.jpg

Here is another picture taken by Jim Altgen. Clint Hill (Secret Service Agent) jumps on the back of the limo, pushing Jackie back who had climbed out onto the back of the car. The car in the distance is the lead car of the motorcade, driven by Dallas Police Chief, Jesse Curry.

5897666661_f3e094e6d6_z.jpg

The camera cars at the back of the motorcade wait for a reporter before following the limo to Parkland Memorial Hospital.

5897661227_7d12ac0daa_z.jpg

A policeman running over towards the grassy knoll as people, including Moorman, sit in shock at the side of the road.

5898228864_241cd04846_z.jpg

Bill and Gayle Newman protecting their children moments after witnessing the assassination. You can see them in the previous photo.

5897662809_d518705dc5_z.jpg

People rush towards the grassy knoll as news of the shooting spreads. Today people stand and pick their arses.

5897669075_66cb581781_z.jpg

The start of the investigation, these guys really should have done a better job.

5897665885_522c5c5059_z.jpg

Kennedy was rushed to Parkland Memorial Hospital but there was nothing anyone could do, no surprise given what the Zapruder film shows happened to his head.

Lee Harvey Oswald was charged with Kennedy's murder, firing all 3 shots from the 6th floor of the Book Depository. Oswald was murdered 2 days later by Jack Ruby.

Today there are hundreds of conspiracy theories about the assassination with many people refusing to accept that Oswald acted alone.

The JFK Monument designed by Phillip Johnson is located on Main Street a couple of blocks from Dealey Plaza.

5897655809_220abb7947_z.jpg

Anyway, that's it. Thanks for looking.​

Great idea and well executed if you excuse the pun!

The series spells out what you have done clearly, individually I wonder how I'd have felt. I really really like the series. Incredible forethought and I'm guessing that the lack of traffic and pedestrians are also cloned out?

I quite like the idea of these. Some look a bit better than others but overall - yeah I like them - good idea

Thanks all.

I'm guessing that the lack of traffic and pedestrians are also cloned out?

It's in the business district and I was there on a Sunday so it was relatively quiet. I just waited around for gaps in traffic and people although there may have been the odd person hidden behind the 1963 pictures.

Really nice idea and well done for doing so many, it does make a really good series...and I did actually laugh out loud at the "pick their arses" comment :)

I hate to be the boring one and have to point this out but...

Have you sought permission to use all those other photographs from the copyright holders?

DemiLion said:

Have you sought permission to use all those other photographs from the copyright holders?

Edit: I love the idea btw, but you just can't go around nicking other people's images. Sorry! :)

DemiLion said:
Edit: I love the idea btw, but you just can't go around nicking other people's images. Sorry! :)

There was a series doing the rounds recently of images like this but of the 2nd world war and the modern day locations. I wonder if all those images used had the relevant copyright. I somehow doubt it. If this series isn't for financial gain, then I'm not sure a big fuss needs to be made.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I haven't got permission to use the other photographs but I'm not looking to sell these or anything, just a personal project with the results posted on a couple of forums.

Superb idea and you've pulled it off well too. A perfect example of how much of photography has zero to do with the camera or lenses used.

Back