Jinbei Step up: Elinchrom ranger / Lencarta safari competitor

Edit My Images
No
This looks to be pretty complete, well engineered and actually pretty awesome really.

2011.1.6_16.42.19_7570.jpg

600ws and 1200ws versions, bright LED modelling lamp, a claimed 430 full power flashes (!) on one charge... 1:2 power ratio, T 0.5 of 1/800-1/1200s, S-mount, ring flash heads available.

http://www.goldenshell.com.cn/en/productsDetalis.asp?id=1118

rumoured prices are very affordable, unsure of retailers yet. Fotokojinberg will probably run them...

/via Selbosh / lightingrumours.

Last edited:
Look interesting as soon as they move from rumour to available.

Actually the Lighting Rumour I'm most keen to see materialise is this one http://www.lightingrumours.com/priolite-mb500-lithium-battery-flash-an-update-834 - a few European retailers already. We just need the price to drop ;)

hmm, that's neat I suppose, but lacks the small head size that I really like about the discovery / elinchrom ranger - and the price of that, wtf.

I did find some prices a while ago for the discovery... I'll trawl my comment history...

got them

Have at photo Konijnenberg requested. It only comes in 3-4 months (Feb.-March 2011).
You can pre-reserve it already.

The prices:

Jinbei DC-600 set € 549, -

Jinbei DC-600 standard flash head € 99, -

Jinbei DC-600 ring flash head € 159, -

Jinbei-24V DC Lithium battery AH € 159, -

Jinbei DC-1200 set € 619, -

549+99+149= 800 euros = £671 for a 2 head + ring flash portable lighting kit. Tasty.

Last edited:
hmm, that's neat I suppose, but lacks the small head size that I really like about the discovery / elinchrom ranger - and the price of that, wtf.

I did find some prices a while ago for the discovery... I'll trawl my comment history...

got them

549+99+149= 800 euros = £671 for a 2 head + ring flash portable lighting kit. Tasty.

That's pretty cheap but what about, VAT, Import tax, Duty etc... ?

Still im sure a nice price for a 3 head combo

with the older stuff theres no import duty and shipping is 50 euros from Holland. Something in the eu that works very very sensibly.

with the older stuff theres no import duty and shipping is 50 euros from Holland. Something in the eu that works very very sensibly.

yep, this. Those prices are apparently prices from fotokojinberg, so it's 50 euro delivery but no tax/customs :) So about £715 all in.... I can deal with that.

then again... for 50 euros, I could probably get some cheap flights out there.... :D

I actually had a chance to survey the market when was in China 2008. There are quite a few ranger/strobes on the offer. Jin Bei is not the best, dare I said - at least from the weight of batteries point of view.
At the end I picked up Guangbao A-400 kit. Fairly portable - the whole set weight around 3Kg. Battery recycle time is good. (cant remember the number), as the manufacturer claimed - most reliable colour temperature
Guangbao prices itself at the top end range. Equivalent to around £350 A-400 without any import tax, vat etc.
Maybe if we got enough interest we can group buy and ship them in container? (to be serious I do have import channel but not in photographic area).

A shoot for over 50 people play group:

IMG_3314.jpg

http://jingphotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/IMG_3314.jpg

And their website, spec: http://www.guangbao.net/ShowProduct.asp?ID=18

Last edited:
yep, this. Those prices are apparently prices from fotokojinberg, so it's 50 euro delivery but no tax/customs :) So about £715 all in.... I can deal with that.

then again... for 50 euros, I could probably get some cheap flights out there.... :D

would that be 50euros regardless if you order or 3 :), might be worth putting heads together and getting a group buy rather then a road trip lol.

would that be 50euros regardless if you order or 3 :), might be worth putting heads together and getting a group buy rather then a road trip lol.

haha, yeah, it's a flat rate for ordering from there as far as I can figure out. Group buy will likely be a good plan :) They're the cheapest place anywhere to buy sandbags and manfrotto nano stand clones and some softboxes, too :)

It's by no means dear for what it promises. But it's not cheap enough that I'd want to buy the first. We need an expert to invest.....

Or since this forum is heavily spidered...."hey Jinbei, wanna hit me up with some free stuff? I'll tell people if I like it". :)

It's by no means dear for what it promises. But it's not cheap enough that I'd want to buy the first. We need an expert to invest.....

Or since this forum is heavily spidered...."hey Jinbei, wanna hit me up with some free stuff? I'll tell people if I like it". :)

haha :D

Well, the previous incarnation of this is the Jinbei RD-600, which shares some components and build with the lencarta safari, and also has good reviews of its own, so in all honesty I can't imagine it'll be pants.

Afaik, Jinbei are widely regarded to be a 'chinese bowens'... we'll see. I'll probably go for it as soon as the first decent review hits the shelves...

Last edited:
JonathanRyan said:

I've had jinbei stuff for about 5 years now still going strong

ruvor said:
too slow for action so not really an elinchrom ranger competitor in that respect.

+1 you get what you pay for. I would have even the cheaper eli quadra over this

+1 you get what you pay for. I would have even the cheaper eli quadra over this

If you don't need super fast flash duration though its not a bad price.

At the end of the day you go for what your budget allows if you can afford the quadra obviously easy an easy choice,

I was looking at the new Quadra the little teeny tiny heads look awesome but mega bucks.

if it gets good reviews its a bit of a steal at that price tbh :) its on par with a flashgun for price :) (would sell my 580EXII for it)

If you don't need super fast flash duration though its not a bad price.

At the end of the day you go for what your budget allows if you can afford the quadra obviously easy an easy choice,

I was looking at the new Quadra the little teeny tiny heads look awesome but mega bucks.

if it gets good reviews its a bit of a steal at that price tbh :) its on par with a flashgun for price :) (would sell my 580EXII for it)

aye, does depend on your use, the quadras / acutebs do have very good fast flash durations, so BMX or action sports photographers will still be looking at these, but if you're mostly after it for portraiture, these could be good :)

Hopefully some decent reviews (beyond the usual flickr user "well it felt well built....") will come out...

aye, does depend on your use, the quadras / acutebs do have very good fast flash durations, so BMX or action sports photographers will still be looking at these, but if you're mostly after it for portraiture, these could be good :)

Hopefully some decent reviews (beyond the usual flickr user "well it felt well built....") will come out...

I have something 'similar' in the Calumet Genesis 300b and also the higher end Eli Quadra mark I.

They are surprisingly comparable on several fronts, and my pictures are often indiscernible between the Eli and Calumet. Though I tend not to photograph people doing cartwheels, it has to said.

Unfortunately, price, size and flash duration are incomparable. The quadra is in a class of its own.

If I couldn't afford the Eli, I wouldn't think twice about getting one of the cheaper new location rigs that are coming on the market.

I am currently shooting with two Jinbei Freelander 500 packs (400Ws), great stuff for an "el cheapo" solution!

Will now complement it with a Jinbei Delicacy 1200Ws set from the Netherlands (the set comes with two heads plus acessories btw).

The main improvement compared to the "RD" series from the same manufacturer:

LI-battery
2:1 power ratio when used with two heads
Smaller heads (has pros and cons of course) with LED pilot lamp (Yummie!)
1/1-1/16 power (like the Freelander, the RD runs from 1/1-1/8 only)

BTW, according to the fotokonijnenberg webpage s&h to the UK has dropped to 24,95 Euros
http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/page/523/levering.html#7

Last edited:
I am currently shooting with two Jinbei Freelander 500 packs (400Ws), great stuff for an "el cheapo" solution!

Will now complement it with a Jinbei Delicacy 1200Ws set from the Netherlands (the set comes with two heads plus acessories btw).

The main improvement compared to the "RD" series from the same manufacturer:

LI-battery
2:1 power ratio when used with two heads
Smaller heads (has pros and cons of course) with LED pilot lamp (Yummie!)
1/1-1/16 power (like the Freelander, the RD runs from 1/1-1/8 only)

BTW, according to the fotokonijnenberg webpage s&h to the UK has dropped to 24,95 Euros
http://www.fotokonijnenberg.nl/page/523/levering.html#7

yep, it's a sweet setup. The 600ws pack, 2 heads, ring flash, and the extra stands and bumpf that it comes bundled with for £cheap, plus the 2% debit card surcharge and the 25euro shipping, and about 50 euros of other stuff, and it comes to about £700 iirc... just waiting for them to get in stock any day now :)

what a co-incident!
Jinbei DC600 was just out in China last few days.
Just a few hours ago I asked my contact to get me a DC600 set plus a ring flash.
Once get them over here (will take many moons I think - but I am going on holiday so at least that will ease the pain...), I will put a little demo video.

fotokojinberg said that they're expecting their stock in 'in the first week of april'... so yeahhhhh >_>

lencarta had a similar due date for their discovery heads (which are the same as the jinbei ones)

well my intention is to under cut Lencarta... no I am only joking, Garry you didn't hear what I said

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to get hold of one of these kits along with ringflash? I am extremely interested in getting one and wondered if its worth holding out for one of these/lencarta discovery over getting a lencarta safari?

Thoughts guys?

they haven't arrived in europe yet at all it would seem :(

original ETA was first week of april...lol

As being Chinese, I will strongly recommend you not just shop the price. I personally tested morjority of those Chinese strobes, but end up by driving me mad with either sync speed or flash duration issue, worse is the wired colour temp. The lifetime of bulb is also a problem, where u will find the replacement?

What you need to remember is : the description of all tech data can not be trusted!

Forgot to say, most pro photographers in China use Elin or Bowens as STD. Higher level will be bron and profoto. The reason Why they not use these local strobes is obvious.

I have got mine! But it will probably another 3 months before land my hands on it. The funny postal regulation in China forbids it be sent via air. So It may not have even left China yet.

Last edited:
As being Chinese, I will strongly recommend you not just shop the price. I personally tested morjority of those Chinese strobes, but end up by driving me mad with either sync speed or flash duration issue, worse is the wired colour temp. The lifetime of bulb is also a problem, where u will find the replacement?

What you need to remember is : the description of all tech data can not be trusted!
This is true, and in particular you can't rely on the tech data to be true. My pure guess on the background to this is that someone, somewhere,makes a perfectly decent flash head.
Someone else copies it, and copies the data published by the original maker, without testing those figures or even understanding what they are and without understanding (or caring) that the cheaper components that they used will affect the performance.
Then someone else copies the copy and copies the data
Then someone else copies the copy of the copy etc etc etc - and eventually it ends up here, sold under an English-sounding name by someone who is just a box shifter out to make a quick buck. Usually, the figures quoted all along the way are actually better than Bron can achieve:crying:
For example,
Colour Temp: 5600k /- 100k

Forgot to say, most pro photographers in China use Elin or Bowens as STD. Higher level will be bron and profoto. The reason Why they not use these local strobes is obvious.
Wrong. Jinbei is a good (and very big) make in China and nearly all of their products are sold within China. I've spent a bit of time watching pro photographers in one district of China and mostly, they used Jinbei products, although foreign makes are also used. The makes that you will NOT see in use by pros in China are the cheapies that are made down to a price for export to people in the UK, where they are sold under different names - only foreigners will buy those in quantity.

I strongly suspect that the reason that some Chinese Pros buy Elinchrom, Bowens etc is simply that huge status is attached by the Chinese to buying imported products, and the more they cost, the better.
That's why you can see so many luxury imported cars on the roads, even though there is a 40% import tax, and that's the reason why my No.1 son, a dealer in fine wines, makes so much money in Hong Kong and Shanghai - people pay thousands for a single bottle of wine, then mix it with a can of coke:crying:
Walk into a food shop and you'll probably see a big display advert in English, for something or other that the shop doesn't sell - a mobile phone for example - why? Because it's in English, which makes the shop international, upmarket and sophisticated - I suspect that that's the reason why foreign makes of flash sell in China, although of course there is nothing wrong with those makes, it's just that people make their buying decisions for perhaps the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
This is true, and in particular you can't rely on the tech data to be true. My pure guess on the background to this is that someone, somewhere,makes a perfectly decent flash head.
Someone else copies it, and copies the data published by the original maker, without testing those figures or even understanding what they are and without understanding (or caring) that the cheaper components that they used will affect the performance.
Then someone else copies the copy and copies the data
Then someone else copies the copy of the copy etc etc etc - and eventually it ends up here, sold under an English-sounding name by someone who is just a box shifter out to make a quick buck. Usually, the figures quoted all along the way are actually better than Bron can achieve:crying:
For example,

Wrong. Jinbei is a good (and very big) make in China and nearly all of their products are sold within China. I've spent a bit of time watching pro photographers in one district of China and mostly, they used Jinbei products, although foreign makes are also used. The makes that you will NOT see in use by pros in China are the cheapies that are made down to a price for export to people in the UK, where they are sold under different names - only foreigners will buy those in quantity.

I strongly suspect that the reason that some Chinese Pros buy Elinchrom, Bowens etc is simply that huge status is attached by the Chinese to buying imported products, and the more they cost, the better.
That's why you can see so many luxury imported cars on the roads, even though there is a 40% import tax, and that's the reason why my No.1 son, a dealer in fine wines, makes so much money in Hong Kong and Shanghai - people pay thousands for a single bottle of wine, then mix it with a can of coke:crying:
Walk into a food shop and you'll probably see a big display advert in English, for something or other that the shop doesn't sell - a mobile phone for example - why? Because it's in English, which makes the shop international, upmarket and sophisticated - I suspect that that's the reason why foreign makes of flash sell in China, although of course there is nothing wrong with those makes, it's just that people make their buying decisions for perhaps the wrong reasons.

+1

Last edited:
Has anyone been tempted to buy a set from fotokonijnenberg ? What are thay like to deal with , and how do ou get over the language barrier ?

still not in stock...

I gave up and did what I'd been tempted to all along, and bought profoto...makes sense really :)

Last edited:
What are thay like to deal with

I haven't bought the lights, but fotokonijnenberg are very easy to deal with.

and how do ou get over the language barrier ?

There isn't one, you would struggle to find a Dutch person that doesn't speak English.

It's worth checking the Belgian site as well, fotokonijnenberg.be the prices are sometimes different to the Dutch site. The Belgian shop is easily doable from Eindhoven ariport (cheap flights from Stanstead) if you are looking at a major purchase it might be worth the cost of the flights (especially if you can save the large shipping charges).

I'm not Dutch BTW, I've only been living here for a while.

There isn't one, you would struggle to find a Dutch person that doesn't speak English.
yup, met a lot of dutch people whose english is better than the average english person's.... :) lovely people.

itsdavedotnet said:
still not in stock...

I gave up and did what I'd been tempted to all along, and bought profoto...makes sense really :)

big price difference between jinebi and profoto l

Back