John Lewis, Leeds Victoria Gate

It's a striking image and I like it.

Offering some criticism: I am, however, unsure about the light in the top right corner and I would want to rotate a little counter clockwise to get the John Lewis name level. The top of the building is also a little too close to the top of the frame for my taste.

You've managed to do something that the actually building itself fails to do imo, and thats look attractive. The striking illuminated framework works well with the black night sky.

excellent capture of what looks like a iconic building.
Love the B&W approach

It's a striking image and I like it.

Offering some criticism: I am, however, unsure about the light in the top right corner and I would want to rotate a little counter clockwise to get the John Lewis name level. The top of the building is also a little too close to the top of the frame for my taste.
i am afraid i was a little too close to the building when i took the shot, the picture is the whole image with no room to straighten without losing the top completely :/ the light is a street light, i could have removed that in post although i kinda liked the effect but thank you for the criticism something to note next time!

You've managed to do something that the actually building itself fails to do imo, and thats look attractive. The striking illuminated framework works well with the black night sky.

Thank you, maybe we have differing opinions but i quite liked the building it was "different"

excellent capture of what looks like a iconic building.
Love the B&W approach
Thanks Gold, it really is impressive in the night time

i am afraid i was a little too close to the building when i took the shot, the picture is the whole image with no room to straighten without losing the top completely :/ the light is a street light, i could have removed that in post although i kinda liked the effect but thank you for the criticism something to note next time!

Thank you, maybe we have differing opinions but i quite liked the building it was "different"

Thanks Gold, it really is impressive in the night time
Its certainly different and I don't have a problem with that. its not the building per se but rather the place it is situated, total out of place imo. There are plenty of modern non conventional buildings in Leeds but that particular area, lower headrow, still holds some charm with its original buildings of portland stone. Actually further up on the shopping centre it has be sympathetically designed to blend in, its just the big brash front thats out of place. of course thats IMO

In those situations I'm usually tempted to roll with it and accept I'm not going everything properly into shot.

I have a crop in mind which I think works better, but you have Edit My Images set to No. If you're willing to let me do that on this occasion, I'll upload it here. If not, I'm happy to leave it be. :)

go for it music man I'm not worried if you play with the image at all

I've just shot the interior for that, it's a great piece of architecture. I'm back there tomorrow to finish off. Hopefully with some light. It was almost dark on Thursday!

Back