Critique Jordan

The B&W has the look of a really old photo. Was this what you were tryimg to create?

The B&W has the look of a really old photo. Was this what you were tryimg to create?

That was definitely the aim. It was a really misty & murky day (and 6am start!) so clarity and bold colours were out of the question.

Last edited:
I do like Jordan...Petra is amazing.
Dull day or not though, I'd still rather see it in colour.
Third image is lovely.

Thanks. I might try and see what I can out of the colour version of #2. The trouble is the sky was so white it became very flat, but will see what I can do with another 12 months of learning LR

Hi Mike
Here is my 2d for what it's worth!
No1 is OD'd on sky! IMHO:eek: I would loose most of it and take it down to a letterbox crop coming just above the peak on the left. Great light hitting that peak on the left(y)
No2 a bit the same sky wise it's flat and doing nothing for your shot. If you want to give it that old fashioned look you can kill two birds with one stone with a square crop, lose the dead sky and of course a lot of old photos were square in format. I'd square the photo up first looking at the verticals it needs to come cw a tad. Then I'd crop it square and clone out the clutter on the beach left foreground and right middle foreground.
No3 uuummmm crepuscular rays! If your using LR and you want to pull up that sky I drag a grad right in over the top. Then you have some great selective controls to play with, you could give it some more colour or even tweak the WB to warm it a tad or even drop several grads on it each with a different adjustment. At the same time if you wanted to do something with the foreground you could pull a grad in from the bottom up and reverse it.
Some nice work, it's amazing what you find trolling through old Lightroom catalogs;)
Good luck Mike

Good observations,Steve.

Take on board this advice and there you have three great shots, especially the last one but I do like the monastery. In Lightroom B&W Presets see what what sepia looks like for the monastery and in B&W, as you'll know, you can play with the values on the sliders too .Another preset worth looking at in B&W mode is 'Green Filter' a few down from the top

Be nice to see these again after the additional edits. I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers for the thoughts, chaps.

Re the sky in #1, I like it as is, not least because it's been my work desktop background for a good while, but I can definitely see where letter boxing would make it more panoramic.

For the Monastery, I hadn't considered a square crop, which is odd, because I'm usually a fan of them. Will see how that works and post results.

#3 is LR5's stock Cross Process 3 preset with very little editing beyond a little split toning added so far. I like it a lot as is, but fancy seeing what else I can do with it as an academic exercise as much as anything else, as there's a lot in there that I didn't see at all when I took it (mostly disappointment that it didn't look as pretty straight out of the camera as the scene did in real life!)

Back