Jpeg file sizing

Name
scott leeson
Edit My Images
Yes
hi,

i am getting slighly frustrated with photoshop cs4(which i use for 90% of my editing) making incredibly small size jpegs.

i have recently upgraded from a d700 to a d3x, the file size for a large jpeg from the camera is around 15mbs, however, sometimes i have found that a file...after levels increase etc(which surely should increase the size)....is being saved at 6mbs (quality 12)

can anybody explain this to me, as some stock image site wont accept under 20mbs

are there any programs that will save a jpeg in a less "lossy" format?

cheers

Hi. There isn't a 'loss-less' jpg format. The jpg you get out of your camera is a high quality one, but saving and re saving reduces the quality. Use photoshop and the image size dialog to input pixel dimensions to figure out how to achieve your ideal file size, then you'll know how far off you are. If you camera isn't that big on mega pixels that won't help either.
Hope that helps.

Hi. There isn't a 'loss-less' jpg format. The jpg you get out of your camera is a high quality one, but saving and re saving reduces the quality. Use photoshop and the image size dialog to input pixel dimensions to figure out how to achieve your ideal file size, then you'll know how far off you are. If you camera isn't that big on mega pixels that won't help either.
Hope that helps.

cheers, i know it loses info each save, but this is why im confused/frustrated, these are 24.5 mpx files! lol and to lose 9mbs of data in 1 save seems insane?

ok cheers, i have tht but never really use it, may be a good idea to save in photoshop as a TIFF then save the TIFF to JPEG in NX2?

My D700 is set to RAW + JPEG Fine.

If I use CNX2 to open a camera JPEG, then save the same file as a renamed JPEG**, the renamed JPEG is no smaller than the original JPEG.

** with NX2 set to 'Excellent' on save options dialog.

PS. Scott - in CNX2, saving a camera JPEG as a TIFF, then saving the TIFF as a renamed JPEG makes no difference to size. i.e. the TIFF-JPEG is exactly the same size as the JPEG-JPEG.

(NB. I haven't tried it in CS4, I find CNX2 much quicker, especially when handling NEFs).

Hth.

I haven't tried it in CS4, I find CNX2 much quicker, especially when handling NEFs.

I just tried this with CS4:

1. Open camera JPEG, make no changes, save as renamed JPEG at quality 12. Result - the CS4 JPEG is no smaller than the camera JPEG.

2. Open camera JPEG, make no changes, save as TIFF (compression 'None') / save TIFF as renamed JPEG at quality 12. Result - the CS4 JPEG-TIFF-JPEG is no smaller than the camera JPEG.

So CS4 is giving the same results as NX2 - i.e. no decrease in size.

cheers, i know it loses info each save, but this is why im confused/frustrated, these are 24.5 mpx files! lol and to lose 9mbs of data in 1 save seems insane?

I don't think you are losing all that info in one save. There is a difference between megapixels and megabytes.

I don't think you are losing all that info in one save. There is a difference between megapixels and megabytes.

im fully aware of the differences (y), im just trying to make the point about the incredible data loss i seem to be getting on some saves in photoshop cs4, i assume it is a bug or something. i will contact adobe about it

cheers

PPS. What do you think of your new D3x?

its fantastic, studio, landscape...anything, ISO is far better than a lot of people realise, the grain is natural looking and it keep huge amounts of detail thanks to the 24.5mpx

its a serious beast.....get 1!:love:

its fantastic, studio, landscape...anything, ISO is far better than a lot of people realise, the grain is natural looking and it keep huge amounts of detail thanks to the 24.5mpx

its a serious beast.....get 1!:love:

Yum yum!!!

im fully aware of the differences (y), im just trying to make the point about the incredible data loss i seem to be getting on some saves in photoshop cs4, i assume it is a bug or something. i will contact adobe about it

cheers

Hmm, this is weird, you should be getting the same results as me in CS4 and NX2.

Have you tried the exact tests I did in post 9 - i.e. just save as a new JPEG without making any changes to the original? When I do this, the JPEGs produced by both CS4 & NX2 are actually larger than the camera JPEG (by approx 14%).

You might get fast help by asking here (not this exact page) http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_windows

Back