JUDGING FOR A CAMERA CLUB CAN BE A BIT TRICKY

Garbled? OK - Hmm - critique implies interpretation rather than description: it is not telling a group of people what the subject is in a photo; after all, it is not a radio broadcast. Listing technical aspects - it's sharp, it's on a third, you have 3 {whatevers] in your image, there are leading lines and so on. Perhaps refer to them if they are not sound. Critique needs to include interpretation - is there an emotional response; what contributes to that emotional response - it is the light, for instance? I do think that one of the biggest frustrations with scoring is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd = 20,19,18 thus skewing the score. The competition I referred to in my earlier post: 5 club members judged demonstrated the finer margins that actually do exist in these competitions. The winning image scored 42, the next two scores were 41; after that I think there was a 40. The judge is asked to name his / her top 3 without scoring. It will be interesting to see how it develops over this season; it will be reviewed at the end of the season.

Back