Judo/Martial Arts Settings

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - I have the opportunity this week end to photograph some judo and martial arts guys in full action.
what camera setting would you recommend using a D700??
It is not a competition just a few guys willing to put some time on one side so that I can take afew shots of them being thrown and punched about!!..... so if necessary I could probably use a flash.
What maximum ISO have you used with the D700 before noise becomes a problem.
Appreciate any help from anyone who has covered this type of sport before.
Thanks
Dave

Impossible to say exactly. Depends on the lighting, your lens, but generally I'd try to aim for a tv of 1/500. Try slow synch flash or use off camera flash

I will be using either my Nikon 24-70 f2.8 or may try the Sigma 50 f1.4 while the lighting I think is fluorescent
Dave

I'd shoot raw as often with fluorescent you get different colors occuring. I'd have thought either of those lenses should be fine esp if you use the widest aperture, you may need to push the iso to get a good shutter speed. Direct on camera flash doesn't really work, I've found.
I'll see if I can post a recent shot, 1/320, f2.0, iso 1600.

Last edited:
Nobody can tell you as we dont know the lighting... But i would say stay away from flash if at all possible.. action shots using flash look terrible IMHO and certainly a pic without flash but more noise is better..

Carol - many thanks for the photo and your setting very helpful, I though I may have to go to ISO 1600 to get a decent ss.
I see that at even 1/320 the feet of the guy are slightly OOF.
Thanks, Kipax, the flash will be staying at home and I agree slight noise is better than a flash image
Thanks again
Dave

I did some the other week and lighting was pants, 6 different flourescent strip lights then a spot light in one area and tungsten bulbs in the background, all kicking out different colours but very little light. I resorted to bouncing the flash of the wall and sloped white ceiling behind me.

I was shooting thai boxing and the hands and feet move very fast, too quick for a 1/200the flash anyway.

When I do martial arts I try to avoid flash if possible. Up the ISO and try to get 1/300 or above if possible. You may also need to take a custom WB too. Cannot be anymore specific without knowing the lighting conditions.

Thanks, John and Graham for the info.
i'm not sure about the lighting at the moment need to review that on the day, so if I need 1/250 or 1/300 then I may be looking at having to use the 50mm f1.4 and then crop
Dave

Carol - many thanks for the photo and your setting very helpful, I though I may have to go to ISO 1600 to get a decent ss.
I see that at even 1/320 the feet of the guy are slightly OOF.
Thanks, Kipax, the flash will be staying at home and I agree slight noise is better than a flash image
Thanks again
Dave

Its difficult in some of these dojos. This one had two small windows near the ceiling throwing some strong sunlight into the room (the bright bit on the wall which I toned down a bit). The other problem was only half the lights were on and we couldn't find the light switch until later during the practice. I took flash but didn't use it. The strong yellow in the floor mats made everyone look like they had jaundice!
1/200 f1.4 iso 1600 - ss definitely too slow.

Last edited:
Just an example of how bad it can get
163202_488043018386_673418386_6093697_3236856_n.jpg

1/30 ISO800 f/2.8 really too slow shutter but that was ambient light this place was dark even the ceiling was painted brown.

So out with the flash, bounced off the shallow slope at the edge of the ceiling which was white, it was only a training sesion and a trial run for me shooting an event in February. Far from perfect but gave me a few ideas on how much I needed to push things.
164138_488045283386_673418386_6093731_3748275_n.jpg

1/200 ISO 200 f/2.8

With the reflections from the ceiling and the mats being green its all a little screwy never mind the all over the shop colours from the lights in the room.

The whole thing leads itself to black and white or desaturated colours give it a gritty look.

The whole thing leads itself to black and white or desaturated colours give it a gritty look.

Yes, sometimes that's the best way. The walls were daffodil yellow, the door sky blue, kiddies crayon drawings on the wall. Made me laugh, the wall heater has 'combat' on it. Taken with a 10-22 f4.5 1/200 3200iso

Last edited:
Many Thanks Carol and John for the very interesting photos and settings used for each one. I see what you mean about lending itself to a B+W image.
I'm doing Marshal Arts this week end and then kick boxing the week after so your images have really helped.
Thanks again
Dave

they all have an orange cast.. exactly what the OP doesnt want...

... and taken from standing by the look of them.

The idea is to shoot from low down, to make the person look imposing by shooting up at them.

Back