Julia boggio photography high school any one attended?

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there been looking at going on a course or photo shoot with julia boggio, i love the look of her stuff. Just wondering if any one on here had attended one of her courses? Cheers gary

Do it, do it do it :)

I've not met Julia but we have some friends in common and if they hold her in such high esteem, I'm not going to argue :) I'd go in a heartbeat.

Cheers ali, i did think that if any one had been on one of her shoots it would be you:)

Julia only opened her new studio at the end of last year and being in London there are opportunities much closer to home for me. :)

Have a look at Photo Pro magazine if you haven't got it already, her column in there is a great read. :)

im always a little skeptical of people that get hyped up, the last one that got hyped up has actually left me feeling rather disappointed, waaaaayyyy better photographers turning out wayyyyyyyyy better work. Its all in the Hype. I guess it shows just how subjective photography is!

I will check this ladies work out.

What an incredibly irritating website...OK images interspersed with reviews like a paperback book jacket...

Not seeing anything there that leaps out and screams 'Award-Winning' IMO...competent and professional, yes... breathtakingly avant garde...? nerrr

What an incredibly irritating website...OK images interspersed with reviews like a paperback book jacket...

Not seeing anything there that leaps out and screams 'Award-Winning' IMO...competent and professional, yes... breathtakingly avant garde...? nerrr

Likewise, some good stuff, but not exactly groundbreaking.

Just MO.

I visited her website, and unless I'm doing something wrong, it seems to me that there are more quotes about how wonderful she is than actual photos!

you need to rummaege to find the galleries, some good stuff in that, id be interested to see a wedding collection as taken, the hit ratio of average to great is then obvious.

Aren't they all like this, all flickr, twatter, spaceface, blog based interwebz hype.

I always feel if they were anything out of the ordinary, I'd have heard of them outside the internet.
That goes for the other daft strobist thread here about somebody I've never heard of, who must be the dogs nutz cos the internet hermits say so.....:shrug:

Aren't they all like this, all flickr, twatter, spaceface, blog based interwebz hype.

I always feel if they were anything out of the ordinary, I'd have heard of them outside the internet.
That goes for the other daft strobist thread here about somebody I've never heard of, who must be the dogs nutz cos the internet hermits say so.....:shrug:

well this is it, using the interwebnet as a marketing tool is great. Facebook has its 'heros' and massive band of sycophants who fawn over every word, though I have to say that for some of these guys Talent isnt as great as the hype.

Just another 'name from the mags' jumping on the training bandwagon, trying to make a buck out of naive punters who seem to lap it up in the hope that they can take pictures like them if they spend 6 hours with them.

Isn't is getting rather pathetic?

If she was that good, she wouldn't need to diversify.

Being a professional photographer is about more than taking good photographs and she has been a very solid pro for a number of years. That does not happen by coincidence.

Sorry guys but you just come across as bitter. If she can sucessfuly market herself and her photography to the point where she is internationally acclaimed then blooming good for her!

Not really Alison, just because some of us don`t give certain people the idolised status that you seem to, does not make us bitter.

You seem to have a great affection with names and want to follow what these supposed names do,teach and preach.You have enough talent to do your own thing, why not try that instead.................(y)

I like her stuff and living in London she is local for me, but whilst I do like what she does, I don't want to do it myself so wouldn't consider a course with her. On the othehand I have been told she is a lovely lady, so would I have share a coffee with her? Yeah, probably ;)

Perhaps I'm just more exposed to these people than you Ade. It's not that I idolise them at all, Julia's syle of photography is not mine and I'm not trying to emulate it in any way.

However I do look at other photographers work. I find that every time I dig into what they do I learn something.

I've learned things from watching Mark Cleghorn, Damien Lovegrove, Chris Hanley, Jerry Ghionis, Martin Grahame-Dunn, Trevor and Faye Yerbury and each and every time I have met them I have learned something either photographically or about business.

If I take all the things I have learned from them and distill it into what I do then that is progressing me as a photographer. Skills and knowledge are tools in my toolbox for me to use when I need them, regardless of the source.

Hi there been looking at going on a course or photo shoot with julia boggio, i love the look of her stuff. Just wondering if any one on here had attended one of her courses? Cheers gary

Lots of opinions here Gary, yet no one who has posted so far haven't attended any of her courses :shrug:

I fully understand what you are saying Alison, I agree to a certain degree.

But I look around other peoples work,see what they do,how they do it and how they present it. What works for them and their clients/customers, certainly would not work for mine,so,yes, I look around but am certainly not overawed by others work. Probably like you, I take bits off everything and make a new mould, my mould which produces my work.

For example, how many close up shots of robins do we see on here? And are any of them any different from anybody elses? But when somebody does something different, that is when people take notice.

Oh absolutely agree Ade. All the peope I mentioned have stood where I am right now though. If you read anything of Damien Lovegrove you learn that he left the BBC and darned near broke the bank before he turned the business into profit. When you have people who have walked miles in your shoes I feel that it would be somewhat disingenuous to ignorewhat they have to offer.

I don't want to be the next (insert photographer here) I want to be me but if I can avoid making costly mistakes by spending a little then I will. :)

Ive already said I like some of her stuff so there is no argument from me on the quality of her work. Would I do a course? If I was to make my living from it then yes, but im not, so I wont.

As for being bitter - No, not at all, Im crap at photos and dont aspire to be anything other than occasional togging, I just get very disappointed when I go and look at sites from people that is supposed to be inspiring, edgy, groundbreaking stuff but all I find is middle of the road stuff, I see more inspiring photography on here from people who dont know what talent they have. (all IMHO of course)

I see more inspiring photography on here from people who dont know what talent they have.[/QUOTE]
And that my friend could be the difference! When someone know they have talant and are able to flaunt it and share it (at a price) than it's not only good photography, but good business. The OP loves her photography, you are not so keen, but as you say....'it's subjective'.

I can't comment on the course but, I have worked with Julia at a wedding on Tower Bridge and, can say she is a very nice person, she certainly goes to great efforts to get outstanding results for her clients, if those efforts can be instilled in others, that must go some way to being an effective learning base.
She is also the Bride in the original Dirty Dancing first dance video of "Youtube" fame.

I see more inspiring photography on here from people who dont know what talent they have.[/QUOTE]
And that my friend could be the difference! When someone know they have talant and are able to flaunt it and share it (at a price) than it's not only good photography, but good business. The OP loves her photography, you are not so keen, but as you say....'it's subjective'.
her photography is quite good, the work posted on her site is very impressive..I havent said i dont like it?:thinking:

People with talent i have no problem with, people who THINK they have talent on the other hand...;)

I havent said i dont like it?
Nor did I. I said you were less keen of her work (than the OP)

People with talent i have no problem with, people who THINK they have talent on the other hand...
If what you are saying that this woman only THINKS she has talent, than I dis-agree with your opinion. ;)

It's ashame that no one has yet posted who has been attendee on one of this lady's courses, as I,m kinda curious myself. :p

I said there were some good shots, but that website is a disaster - took me about eight clicks to get to anything useful...potential clients want to see the goods within four at the very most, after that they go elsewhere...

After persevering, I found what I'd call some 'good solid images', but nothing I haven't seen on any number of other photographers' sites and certainly nothing living up to the hype surrounding her work...

Her courses may be brilliant of course - you don't actually need to be that great a photographer to teach after all...

Well despite the scepticism Gary, unless you popped out the womb knowing all there is to know about marketing and running a photography business I'd give it a go.

Business advice is probably more critical than photography advice when it comes to doing it professionally. So long as you have a marketable product you need to know how to take that product to market and if time spent with Julia offers some of that then it should be of benefit to you.

It's also quite a new offering so I don't think you are going to find many on here who have attended.

I think any course you go on is useful to some extent, even if you come away thinking 'that was no good to me', because it also shows you what direction not to take...

Best value I ever had on a course has to be Mark Cleghorn's "Monkey Business" a whole day of Mark covering various topics for £15. Came home with a bucketload of ideas that have morphed their way into what I'm doing business wise.

Sometimes just looking at what other photographers do is enough to give inspiration and wake up your own ideas. Emma Delves Broughton and Helen Bartlett gave talks at Calumet that I found inspirational and have definately doors a little bit that I will want to exploit going forwards.

If what you are saying that this woman only THINKS she has talent, than I dis-agree with your opinion. ;)

I didnt say that either. reread what I said!:)

I encourage people to do courses if they are serious about what they are doing, as Rob says, you will get something out of it.

Back