Jump ship to Sony alpha?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
For ages I've had my eye on a Canon 5D mark 3 or 4, as an upgrade to my trusty old 7D, however it's been difficult to justify the expenditure. I'm after low light performance and AF speed/accuracy these days, both of which the full frame 5D do nicely. However, the obvious size of these bodies is starting to lead to my gaze being distracted by the Sony alpha range.

I would be tempted by something like the a7, or maybe stick with cropped sensors and look into the a6500. I understand there's a few adaptors out there allowing the use of Canon lenses on these Sony bodies which would be a big benefit, as I would prefer to stick with my current lens setup - EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, EF 50mm f1.4, EF 70-200mm f4L. This setup suits me very well, particularly the wider aperture on the 17-55mm f2.8.

Questions, then:
1. Is the low light performance of the a6500 a leap forward compared to my 7D? (I know the a7 is a huge difference, being full frame and all.
2. Will my lenses (above) be fully operational on a Sony body, with adaptor?

1) I moved from a 7D to an A7R2, but regardless, the 7D is/was a bit rubbish at high ISO, so I think it's fair to say most/all modern cameras would offer you an improvement here.
2) Not sure about the EF-S mount - probably? Certainly on the cropped A6300, and the A7 line offer a cropped mode too.

You might not make a huge space/weight saving if you keep your existing lenses however as they're not the smallest lenses, plus the adaptor will make them even bigger. The native equivalents (roughly); FE 16-35 f/4, FE 55 f/1.8 are relatively smaller - the 70-200 f/4 is probably about the same as makes no difference. They are however considerably more expensive!

I love my A7, and the difference between it and the 7D is incredible, but then had I gone for a 7Dmk2, or 6D I think I would've been equally happy. I traded huge amounts of Canon kit in (7 lenses I think) for the A7R2 with the 35mm f/2.8 as I wanted a future-proof body and a smaller camera which I'd actually take with me (on top of climbing gear and a toddler and all the equipment they require...).

In summary: I wouldn't use low-light capability to change to Sony Alpha (but it will be better), and with those lenses I wouldn't use size as the reason either.

But I ****ing love my A7R2 ;)

I have the Sony A6000 and compared to my Nikon D800 it's hardly noticeable carrying around. Noise wise though it's clear that it doesn't handle low light as well as the full frame sensor so if low light is your priority swapping to the A6500 won't work for you I don't think

Simon

While the variabilities between testing and real world mean that results are more a guide than an absolute, it's often worth getting the numbers from sites such as DxoMark as a starting point for comparison.

Looking at DxoMark the A6500 has about 2/3 stop advantage over the 7D (1405 ISO compared to 854), but the A7 (ISO 2248), 6D (ISO 2340) or Nikon D800 (ISO 2853) are another step up again.

With the metabones adaptor some of your lens will work, if not all, however as Durbs says your using some of your cropped glass on a Full Frame sensor thus will need to pop it in super 35 mode.
I also have the A7Rii and used canon glass with metabones 24-70 F4L 70-200 F4 and Canon MPE 65, the experience is good but its not like native Glass, I've now sold all my Canon glass and use Native Sony Glass, and mainly have the 24-70 GM strapped to the front or use the 28mm F2 if i want small and light.

unfortunately the cost is quite expensive when your looking at the sony glass so be aware. They have just released the 100-400mm lens which looks a great unit. Overall thought the sharpness and accuracy of the A7Rii is awesome

One other to bare in mind is the Nikon D500, but you'll again need to move all your glass too, i use 1 for sports and its the fastest most precise focusing camera I've got.

Just get a mk4, it's low light performance is very similar to that of the Sony A7R2.

Here is a comparison. No need for adaptors, dual card slots, better AF and longer lasting batteries.

Back