Jumpers and a jewel (and a crab)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Tiny little jumping spider, probably being a bit optimistic waiting for the mason bees to fly in.

Bee tube and the silver painted step down ring on the end of the lens make for cool catchlights though. :eek:

Two different crops of the same shot.

Shy by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Shy by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

You can see how close I had to get the lens to the end of the nesting tube. Had to contort the flash a bit to get any light at all down there.

Not seen any males of this species before, very different from the female

Misumena vatia - male by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

this hopper nymph is only about 2-3mm. :eek:

Teeny grasshopper nymph by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Teeny grasshopper nymph by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Finally got a decent pic of one of these. Only got two shots total before it flew off again though, so not great.

Ruby-tailed wasp by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Nice set of images Mark, really like the colours on the last one.(y)

George.

Yowser yowser what a cool looking jumper you got, really like the 2nd shot, has that little bit more light.
Now that jewel wasp is a beauty, excellent one Mark (y)

Wow where to start?

Never seen such eye detail before on a jumper fab work didn't know they had eye tunnels.

#2 pips #1 just

Wicked crab spider what a variety of colours.

Grasshopper nymphs are so cute I will have to keep an eye out.

And those ruby tailed wasps are amazing and you have shot it so well.. what lighting did you use?

So if truth be told I cant fault a single one :)

(y)

Wow where to start?

Never seen such eye detail before on a jumper fab work didn't know they had eye tunnels.

#2 pips #1 just

Wicked crab spider what a variety of colours.

Grasshopper nymphs are so cute I will have to keep an eye out.

And those ruby tailed wasps are amazing and you have shot it so well.. what lighting did you use?

So if truth be told I cant fault a single one :)

(y)

Currently looks like this, but with some foam packing paper stuff for diffusion.

H9sA3a1l.jpg

Funny nearly looks identical to my setup ;) lol :p

Is it easy to move to the front at 5x though? Or a bit awkward? Is it well balanced? I got used to my brackets so much so keep delaying making a FMMB.

Have you made a lens hood for it? I use the JJC version of canon copy.

Last edited:
Funny nearly looks identical to my setup ;) lol :p

Is it easy to move to the front at 5x though? Or a bit awkward? Is it well balanced? I got used to my brackets so much so keep delaying making a FMMB.

Have you made a lens hood for it? I use the JJC version of canon copy.

Step down 58-28mm, painted with a metal paint to reflect a bit of light. You can see it in the catchlights of the jumping spider in the OP :)

Haven't needed to use it at 5x since I've had the 270ex yet, the extension tube adds a bit I suppose. I have a bracket waiting to be cut to size and glued & Sugrued to the step down ring.

I will cut my fingers off while doing that though tbf.

This is not heavy and feels very easy to use at the moment though.

Last edited:
Are you planning on using an L bracket? Or aluminium bar as per Timmy design qe?

I bought all the bits just got to make time to make it.... I was going to fix a l bracket to the cokin filter fmmb another one still to do I have female 3/8" to inset in square holder the mount l bracket to that.

All good fun experiments just got to make them.

Great set Mark, especially like the jumpers. Love the way they look on that dark background and it looks like you have run a heavy luminance or some kind of paint filter over them to give them an artistic feel?

Great set Mark, especially like the jumpers. Love the way they look on that dark background and it looks like you have run a heavy luminance or some kind of paint filter over them to give them an artistic feel?

Some processing certainly, but not with any special effect in mind.

The WB in the RAW images was quite red, due to the flash reflected off of the lining of the tube, so neutralising that may have the effect you're seeing.

Back