Jumping from Canon 40D to 5D mkii

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
Yes
Just waiting for the 5Dmkii to come through the post,
I ordered it because of the price drop recently and my incoming work for studio based photography and I want to make a start on some videography.

I've read a few reviews , and was just wondering Am I going to see a huge difference between these camera's? e.g auto focusing, view finder, ISO capability, Video feature...

I will be keeping the 40D as a back up too

Thanks peeps!

Last edited:
Not a comment on the camera but may make easier reading if you didn't use bold red!

Ahh sorry Chris , my mouse was playing up as I clicked on the font colour!

I made that exact same move - 40D to 5D MkII. Couldn't really put my finger on it, but it just seemed an improvement across the whole board for me.
I guess the first thing I noticed with the MkII was the viewfinder brightness and cover - spanked all over the 40D - and me wearing glasses - that was a great upgrade.

This might be a silly question but don't you already know why you want to spend a grand on another body before you buy it?

Edit: I assume you already have EF mount lenses or are factoring in purchasing them because that is the first major difference between bodies.

Cheers
Steve

I made the same move a couple of years ago. The viewfinder and the particularly the ISO capability are worlds apart.

You won't notice much difference in focusing capability, the 5DII isn't great, and I've never used the video capability, so can't comment on that.

One thing I really did notice though, the full frame really shows up the shortcomings in lenses, particularly in the corners. Even in some of the L series lenses like the 17-40. You do really need very good lenses to get the best from it.

Enjoy though, it's a great bit of kit, never regretted getting one.

Thanks for the input people Really looking forward to getting it :)

Edit: I assume you already have EF mount lenses or are factoring in purchasing them because that is the first major difference between bodies.

Cheers
Steve

I do have EF mount lenses already, but will be looking into buying many more in the future!

Back