Jumping Spider

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I`m always on the lookout for subjects to photograph and to my surprise yesterday just after finishing work I found this beauty on my garage door.
About 6.5 to 7 mm long so fairly big as jumping spiders go.
I always carry a plastic box with me to put insects in when I find them and always return them to the place I find them also.

Jumping spiders - Salticidae. Carrhotus xanthogramma

Carrhotus xanthogramma female by Graham, on Flickr

Carrhotus xanthogramma female by Graham, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.
Click the photo to look at these shots on my flickr.

Last edited:
Two very nice shots Sir, with #2 being my fav', well composed, good colour, and a nice reflection.(y)

George.

George, I do like to use my dark glass for that reflection.

I wondered what you used for that Sir, its very effective and works really well.(y)

George.

I wondered what you used for that Sir, its very effective and works really well.(y)

George.
A sheet of glass sprayed with black spray paint on one side, 2 layers and that`s that, no double reflections with it.

Wow, those are two very nice detailed shots. These critters always look cute to me.
Shane

Did you know these li'l guys will chase a laser pointer, just like cats?

Wow, those are two very nice detailed shots. These critters always look cute to me.
Shane
Thanks Harry,
Yes, and imo the cutest spiders of all 
Did you know these li'l guys will chase a laser pointer, just like cats?
Thanks Tori.
Crazy but true.
Have you tried it?

Super shots of a completely adorable subject!(y)

I'm so envious!:crying:
We don't get them here in the UK....well, apart from that one in a Cheshire reserve that made it into all the papers a few months back....and (s)he's probably jumped back home now!!:(
Hi Gareth, are you being specific to this Carrhotus xanthogramma or jumpers in general?
And yes, totally adorable spiders, thanks very much for the comment.

Hi Gareth, are you being specific to this Carrhotus xanthogramma or jumpers in general?

I initially meant in general, but after doing a little research I have found that actually some species of jumping spiders are found in the UK....I should have read up before posting!...what can I say....I'm a dozy idiot!!!:oops: :$

Anyway, the species that is supposedly (relatively) common in the UK is the Zebra jumping spider (Salticus scenicus), but the one that made it into the papers in August was evidently a very rare species - Sibianor larae.

Link to article in the Independent:

https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...tain-uk-cheshire-sibianor-larae-a8493386.html

Just need to get off my lazy backside and find a zebra jumper now! :banana:

Last edited:
I initially meant in general, but after doing a little research I have found that actually some species of jumping spiders are found in the UK....I should have read up before posting!...what can I say....I'm a dozy idiot!!!:oops: :$

Anyway, the species that is supposedly (relatively) common in the UK is the Zebra jumping spider (Salticus scenicus), but the one that made it into the papers in August was evidently a very rare species - Sibianor larae.

Link to article in the Independent:

https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...tain-uk-cheshire-sibianor-larae-a8493386.html

Just need to get off my lazy backside and find a zebra jumper now! :banana:
Thanks for that Gareth and a cool find.

Great images, of a lovely little "Jumper"...As you know mate, i also have a soft spot for these little beauties too.

Good to know that you are "doing right" by the creature/subject too, its good to hear that you return the Spider to where you found it.

Im not keen on other photographers, that "freeze down"/kill their subjects, just to make the shot.

Great images, of a lovely little "Jumper"...As you know mate, i also have a soft spot for these little beauties too.

Good to know that you are "doing right" by the creature/subject too, its good to hear that you return the Spider to where you found it.

Im not keen on other photographers, that "freeze down"/kill their subjects, just to make the shot.
Thanks Paul.
Yes I do return them to their original place if I can but if not they go in my car park (plenty of trees and bushes) or if I found them inside a building I put them in the hall on the lower floor, I never see them the next day though.

Gareth a sunny wall/fence in summer should get results
Thanks for the tip Alf. :)

I suppose I hadn't even considered looking for these little critters until now, since I was so badly misinformed about their existence in the UK....who would've thought that the internet could be wrong!:D

Superb shots, I’m so envious!
Thanks David and you don`t have to be envious, you have salticidae there so it`s just a case of finding one and getting that shot.

Back