Junior events any issues?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I might go along to a cycle-cross race near me and take some shots not for sale just practice because it's been a while since I shot cycling.

One of the races is an under 16s event. Is it allowed/the done thing to take shots of minors without prior consent? It's on public land and the photos won't be sold so I can't see any issues but you never know! :bonk:

i think the usual consensus is just to ask around beforehand if anyone has a problem with you snapping them/their kids. there can be lots of different reasons people dont want you taking poctures of their kids not just being warey of you. so its always best to check first. i know i had an unders game who had a blanket ban of snaps for fear of an ex being able to locate the family. im sure others will comment but always best to ask.

I can only agree with the previous post about asking first. I've taken photos of junior football matches and have always introduced myself to the respective managers/parents before taking any shots. Only once has a manager asked me not to take photos, I duly obliged.

I always ask, but..

I take photographs for a club that my Son plays for (they have about 8 teams of different ages). I never had a problem last season, but I've come up against two matches (Under 14's & Under 11's) where I had to almost negoitiate with their managers so I could take the photographs.

I'm not sure of the laws here in Northern Ireland or if they differ from the laws on the mainland.

Thanks for the replies. In the end I decided not to bother going and watched the F1 instead.

I see the point of asking parents etc but is was a mile or so course marked out in a public park so how would you go about asking as there will be loads of people just standing around all over the place? Is it more a case of asking the organiser rather than the parents?

It's a shame it's even necessary to have to ask. Things have got crazy these days!

Often event organisers will keep a list of those taking photographs and ask that anyone wanting to take pictures signs on the list. Most don't have a problem with it and when challenged by a parent the "I'm signed up on the list run by the organisers" usually works well...

I've always found that taking my business cards with me to hand out if anyone asks, and also allows them to contact me if they want any of the photos too.

nolano55 said:
I've always found that taking my business cards with me to hand out if anyone asks, and also allows them to contact me if they want any of the photos too.

If you photograph an event and hand out your business cards you could be breaking the contract that the organiser has with the official photographer and you could be sent off site.

Yes. The organiser would have hire land and if there is a contract between them it stands as law.

Yes. The organiser would have hire land and if there is a contract between them it stands as law.
Ah right, wouldn't have thought there would have been a need to "hire" the land exculsivly as such, thought there would have just been an agreement with the council to "use" the land for a specific reason and time scale.

So the organiser in theory could even ban anyone other than the official photographer using cameras, as for the agreed timescale with the council the land is in effect "private" and subject to the "hirers" terms and conditions.

So the organiser in theory could even ban anyone other than the official photographer using cameras, as for the agreed timescale with the council the land is in effect "private" and subject to the "hirers" terms and conditions.

The land may not be private but the event is and therefore subject to the organisers T&C and any agreement with trade stands etc including photography. Photographing during these events by the public or even by any competitor may not be allowed. Public found taking photographs and "touting" for business may be asked to leave and even told to delete there images.

I was covering a kids football tournament this year and a local photographer was doing just that until the organisers spotted him and "asked" him to leave. He turned a bit nasty saying they had no right to stop him but did leave when told the police would be informed. Cheeky bugger even asked me for a job!!!

They can be asked to leave Graham, but there's no legal grounds for asking that the images are deleted.

Mark
If taken of under aged kids without parents consent there may possibly be grounds and I should have said "asked to delete" not "told".

I agree with the asked bit - but they still can't be made to (apart from by a judge/mag).

Kids, under-aged or otherwise, have no more or less protection from photography than the rest of us, unless the image is obscene; at least in legal terms. Practicability might indicate otherwise however.

Back