Jupiter & 4 of her moons (without a telescope!)

Edit My Images
No
Photographing planets without a telescope: JUPITER.

Jupiter is very bright in the southern sky at the moment (very near the moon). This was taken with my Fujifilm S100FS plus an Olympus B300 1.7 telephoto lens. Single image unprocessed but cropped.
101682525.jpg

Full EXIF Info
Date/Time 14-Aug-2008 22:49:44
Make FujiFilm
Model FinePix S100FS
Flash Used No
Focal Length 92.6 mm
Exposure Time 1.30 sec
Aperture f/5.2
ISO Equivalent 200
Metering Mode matrix (5)
Exposure Program shutter priority (4)

Impressive. Can you explain the setup a bit more? Thought that was a bridge style camera - how did you attach another lens?

Good shot Geoff, I've done a few of these with the 250mm and never got the Gallilean moons that clear. The moons for interest are in order left to right :

Callisto, Europa, Io and Ganymede

Impressive. Can you explain the setup a bit more? Thought that was a bridge style camera - how did you attach another lens?

:agree:

would like to know if this is something I could try with my 40d and 70-300?

The Fuji S100FS has a 400mm (x 14.3) zoom and the B300 converts that to approx 680mm (x 24 zoom). Obviously it does not take replacement lenses but it will take a range of filters using the front-end filter thread. The added lens is fitting to the S100FS with a stepping down ring. You do get vignetting unless you set your camera for full zoom, but then you need to set it to full zoom to get the best results.

I have had a favourite Olympus B300 telephoto lens for some time using it with my S602 and previous Olympus C2000Z. When Fuji released the S7000 they made thing difficult by putting the filter thread on the end of the extending lens, and not recommending one fits heavy supplementary lens. So I made the following lens support, that also works with the S100FS with a slight modification.

Here are some images for another discussion of the fitting on my previous camera - the S7000.

medium.jpg

Homemade lens support top view
medium.jpg

Bottom view of tripod socket
medium.jpg

All the bits
medium.jpg

Side view with elastic to steady lens
medium.jpg

Comfortable in the hand

Good shot Geoff.

With a 1minute 30sec exposure did you use any motion controlled equatorial mount or was it not quite long enough to see any trails? :thinking:

Back