Jupiter Close Encounter

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I would give it a go.

This was a single shot taken at 2:17 this morning Using my OM1 with 300mm F4 pro + MC-14, f/5.6, ISO200, 1/100th sec. Manually focussed using magnification and remote shutter release.

Jupiter is very bright and needs a low exposure to get any of the cloud detail but then the moons are barely visible. So I had to boost the exposure of the moons in post-processing.

Pleased with the result for a single shot.

Jupiter and-Moons.jpg

Jupiter Moons labels.jpeg

Excellent shot and processing. Very interesting about the reasonong for the exposure details too, thanks.

Amazing David. Well done doesn't seem enough :D

Must try again with lower exposure I am impressed you got that detail with 300mm as in theory I can use 600mm in APS C mode and get to about 800mm
More or less new moon now so might be extra dark could help if it is clear.
Last time I tried it at higher zoom the problem is even a slight touch to camera has it jiggling all over the place so want to be using remote of some kind or self timer.

Last edited:
Must try again with lower exposure I am impressed you got that detail with 300mm as in theory I can use 600mm in APS C mode and get to about 800mm
Last time I tried it at higher zoom the problem is even a slight touch to camera has it jiggling all over the place so want to be using remote of some kind or self timer.
The slightest touch even when mounted on the sturdiest tripod will cause blur. A timed release or better remote release is best.

Fantastic pic!

I failed miserably last night. Too windy and the tripod kept moving.

Very nice David :)

Pleased! You should be over the bloody moon, no pun intended :D.

Or Olympus's legendary IBIS :D

edit: yes I know its on a tripod, it was a joke :D

Excellent, thank you for sharing. ;)

An amazing amount of detail with just a straightforward camera and lens.

Blimey! Thanks all for the comments. I won't say how many images in total I took at different settings :)

Reactions: Nod
Inspired by you I have just been outside. I don't think mine is as good as yours! Also OM-1, 300mm f4 but with the 2x converter. 1/40th for the moons, 1/800 for the planet and an arbitrary ISO 640 which probably wasn't the best setting. Composite image

Troublesome issues were focussing, hazy cloud at times, and the complete inability to stack - I have more images of the planet.

Jupiter Sep 27 2022.jpg

No information anywhere about which way to look or what time. No good saying it is next to this star etc, that is as useful as as a bucket with a hole in the bottom

No information anywhere about which way to look or what time. No good saying it is next to this star etc, that is as useful as as a bucket with a hole in the bottom
Jupiter is the brightest object in the night sky at the moment its hard to miss. Right now it rises in the east at around 20:00. Just after midnight it will be directly South. At about 3:00am it will be approx South West before setting after 5:00am. HTH

Inspired by you I have just been outside. I don't think mine is as good as yours! Also OM-1, 300mm f4 but with the 2x converter. 1/40th for the moons, 1/800 for the planet and an arbitrary ISO 640 which probably wasn't the best setting. Composite image

Troublesome issues were focussing, hazy cloud at times, and the complete inability to stack - I have more images of the planet.

View attachment 368109
That is so very good :)

View attachment 368109
Excellent image. I don't have the 2x converter. I was going to do the same as you and make an image composed of two shots to get more stars as well as planets in the final composite. Your planets are pretty round I think 1/40 sec exposure is about as slow as you can go before you risk elongated stars/planets. Upping the ISO allows you to take shorter exposures and avoid the risk of motion blur. Todays noise reduction software means you can push the ISO way up and still get great astro images.

Last edited:

link no good unless you have an Ipad etc which I don't, not even a mobile phone, so as much use as a chocolate tea pot

Last edited:
Jupiter is the brightest object in the night sky at the moment its hard to miss. Right now it rises in the east at around 20:00. Just after midnight it will be directly South. At about 3:00am it will be approx South West before setting after 5:00am. HTH
Using this (no tech at all) it took me less than 5 seconds to find it last night.
Regrettably my attempts to get a usable image failed, but that was down to my lack of astro photo skills.
You could say my attempt was like a chocolate teapot falling through a hole in a bucket.

link no good unless you have an Ipad etc which I don't, not even a mobile phone, so as much use as a chocolate tea pot

I bet you're a right laugh at parties.

Do you want someone to knock on your door at the right time and point it out to you or have you heard of Google?

Last edited:

As of midnight tonight -

RA/DEC: 0h14m34.13s/-0°11'20.7"

Have a look at Stellarium ( https://stellarium.org/ ). It is a free download and can set to display the sky for any location and makes finding lots of astronomical objects easy.

Dave

View attachment 368109
How fast are the moons moving this was just a now shortly before midnight 29th

jupiter-22-09-29.jpg

How fast are the moons moving this was just a now shortly before midnight 29th

jupiter-22-09-29.jpg

Great image!

I never really thought that the moons would orbit round the planet, but its a no brainer really!

Last edited:
Do you have someone hold your hand when you go to the bog?

I suppose the next stage is to try some free stacking software.

I suppose the next stage is to try some free stacking software.
I quickly tried StarryLandscapeStacker, but it wouldn't align the images. Neither would Affinity Photo. So instead I just chose the best frame and enhanced it a bit. I think I have about 12 images that are reasonably focused, so probably not worth getting stacking working, for my images.

I got my tripod out yesterday to have a go. Fatal error, that brought the rain clouds in for the rest of the day.

I quickly tried StarryLandscapeStacker, but it wouldn't align the images. Neither would Affinity Photo. So instead I just chose the best frame and enhanced it a bit. I think I have about 12 images that are reasonably focused, so probably not worth getting stacking working, for my images.
Some FREE software to try.

To align images then PIPP is excellent. (Planetary Image Pre Processor). it works on Moon images as well. The small size of Jupiter may give it a challenge.

To Stack images then there are two Free ones that are popular

Autostakkert 3 and RegiStax 6. Both work on Windows systems only.

Last edited:
Some FREE software to try.

To align images then PIPP is excellent. (Planetary Image Pre Processor). it works on Moon images as well. The small size of Jupiter may give it a challenge.

The Stack images then there are two Free ones that are popular

Autostakkert 3 and RegiStax 6. Both work on Windows systems only.
I have always used those as well but there's a new one that does the same thing but in one program. It's called Astrosurface http://astrosurface.com/pageuk.html

Thanks for the suggestions. I could probably use them on my emulator.

Before I do, are there any Mac ones?

You might try taking video and processing that. That's what we do with a higher mag view through a telescope. Stack 1000s of images. Expose for Jupiter and stcking will show the moons ok. Hee's Jupiter through telescope last Saturday. Air stability was rubbish. 8000 frames, which isn't very many at all. It should work with a tiny image as well.jupiter 240922.jpg

Back