Jupiter this evening (again...) 31/08/2022

• Thread starter Deleted member 96017
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 96017

Hi folks,

I've been perving at Jupiter again tonight :cool::police::ROFLMAO:

Took delivery of my Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary today with 1.4TC. I still have a lot to learn with it. It appears I still can't seem to manual focus properly :p I did use the rear LCD to assist this time. A Bahtinov Mask has been ordered (thanks @Jannyfox) although that's for my 75-300 and not this new one. Will get one ordered for that asap. Also been dodging the clouds to get the pics tonight.

Anyway, unedited, apart from stretched a little. L to R: Callisto, Io, Jupiter, Europa, Ganymede.

Hope you enjoy. Again, hints/tips welcomed.

Cheers,

Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:
Focussing will not be easy even with the mask - not for what you're doing. You're using the equivalent of a telescope and while scopes are designed for very fine manual focusing, auto focus lenses are not. You need to get pretty close to focus before you put the mask on and just use the mask for that final tweak. And then there's the steadiness or otherwise of the atmosphere which is critical in planetary imaging but not so much for deep sky. That should get better as we get away from the warm weather. Stick at it. Jupiter's nicely placed for a while yet.

Really nice capture. Are you sure it is a focus issue and not just atmospheric disturbance or slight vibration?

I nearly had a go at it myself last night but by the time it was really dark it had clouded over here.

This is mine from about 11pm, there was some thin high cloud at times.
Sony A7iv with 200-600.
Like taking shots of the moon it is brighter than you think so was on about ISO200 and 1/4sec with aperture probably at F 5.6 or whatever is fastest

jupiter.jpg

I don't think I put this later attempt on here.
Two exposures combined to get faint moons to show while retaining a hint of detail on the planet.
If I did it again I would take a burst of at least five and recombine as layers.
(A7iv with 200-600)

jupiter-22-09-29 by Colin Grice, on Flickr

Back