Just a couple from yesterday....

Edit My Images
Yes
All Adox CHS100, now shot at 50asa after I speed tested it for my dev (rodinal 1+50, 10 mins ish)/ lens (Schenider 90mm SA) etc.

All shots at Broadsand Bay, Nr Combe Martin. It might be Somerset, it might be Devon, who can tell?

Broadsands004.jpg

Broadsands002.jpg

Broadsands003.jpg

dont know what to say other than... phenomenal!

lets see digital top that then :LOL:

seriously, though, those are some amazing shots i love the first two, especially number 1 - the reflections make the water look like glass.

That last one looks like....elephant :)

Can I ask why the grey scale tones differ so much, they're not far enough off b/w to moan about, I just wondered how far from the neg they are and if the development had any bearing on it ?

Tones Differ between Shots or just in the last one????

I have processed it a little so will post an unedited (as much as is possible) scan a bit later after I've had a glass of wine or three.

The slightly coloured ones have been toned using some presets I dug out somewhere for Kallitype toning.

Anyways......

1) Direct from epson scan with it's crazy auto exposure thing going on.....

bs003.jpg

2) Direct from epson scan but with the levels pulled out so the histogram isn't clipping...

bs001.jpg

FWIW, the shot was taken of a very grey rock with very little tonal variation as it was in flat shade. It was what I was looking for however. There was just enough variation in tone to reproduce the texture of the rock (smooth) without shadows adding depth I didn't want!

no, there's a good spread of tones in 2 & 3, I was actually just talking about the overall tone, only number 2 is actually b/w, I wondered if that was down to chemical processing, which it wasn't as you say.
I dunno about the first one, I can't see the picture, maybe it just isn't best suited to b/w, there's a lot of one tone of grey, is it over sharpened, I dunno I don't have the vocabulary.
2&3 are bonza though..

*edit* I think maybe there's just a tons of detail in it, lost in compression

I know what you mean jox about the lots of one tone of grey in the first shot. I think its the fact that what look like ridges of rock ar lit fairly flat so they merge together a bit. I can see what you were going for ghandi but i dont thin the lighting has helped you here. With some low angled early morning or late evening light to throw some shadows it could look pretty nice. Thats if it looks in reality like what I think it looks like:shrug:

Love number 2 and number 3 is the winner for me, lovely creamy warm tone, that would make a nice print (y)

Gandhi, these are great. I really do need to get back in the darkroom soon. I might endeavour to make a trip this week.

The lack of scale/depth in Number 1 is breaking my head somewhat. 2 is great but 3 is by far and away my favourite. Now get yourself in a darkroom and start printing and toning these!

Back