Just A Daf

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

My Son brought this Daf for me to photograph, dont know why but the stem just looked more blue than green, on the plant weird, taken at 12 mid day natural window light and used my fold up Maplin lightbox case as a BG , to me this shot has a 3D quality about it, C+C Welcome

4542824409_787cbea296_o.jpg

Dave

Shame about the black background. It's one of my big no-nos with plant photography - looks so artificial. Otherwise, absolutely stunning quality.

Last edited:
Ohh missed this one (too busy watching the debate :D)

Black backgrounds work wonders on flowers :) And this looks good, I like the compositiona and detail although the stem looks bluey rather than green...I think I've seen similar on here before so I guess it could be my monitor :D

I agree the angle and comp does give it a 3D ish look! :)

Anyone any thoughts (y)

I like it, there's certainly nothing to offend - except perhaps the blue stem. The problem is that ever since Baz perfected his homemade lightbox (must be about 18 months ago now) and we were inundated with various shades of Gerbera on black I've sort of become numb to these shots. They're nice, just a bit 'athena'. :shrug:

Hiya Dave,

Did you do any post processing on the photo? The only reason I ask is because I have taken many photos of dafs and if I try doing any pp on them the stems change colour to either blue or purple.

I have tried to google to see if there is anyone out there with the same experience.

I particularly notice it if I try to saturate the colours slightly (especially where I have made a blups with the exposure or contrast).

I have not used a lightbox (only ever taken the pics outside and in daylight). Which leads me to think that there may be something to do the lighting (or extra lighting) and the physical composition of the plant reacting with the light. I am no scientist or botonist so this is still a mystery to me and I would love to know what the answer is to this also.

D :)

Hi Dawn

Yes I did up the saturation a little, the shot wasnt inside a light box I only used the black case as a BG, the light is natural from the through a window, and has no other lighting, heres the same shot trying to recover the green of the stem, thanks for your comment

4546914674_9da0d2cf19_o.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Same as my style Dave when I do these - natural light and a propped up bg - and yep, thats greener - still a tiny blue hue though....must try one myself :)

Thanks John I rarely put flowers in a lightbox and only use window natural lighting as you say with a propped up BG, look forward to seeing your shots (y) Im going on holiday to Albufeira in Portugal Tuesday, 3am in the morning, for a week, so Ill have a look when I get back

Last edited:
Hiya Dave, that looks a lot better. D :)

Very nice Dave, especially the greener stem one.

Andy

Back