Just an early edit with LR

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Just putting this on the Forum so I can see what it looks like, just a basic edit (just got LR)

Murphy LR.jpg

First thing to do is set the Black and White points, think it would benefit from that.
If it were me I would take the highlights down and add some careful sharpening
Great thing with digital processing, just mess about with the settings to see what happens.

Last edited:
See, one thing I never really do, is set black and white points.......

That's the good thing about editing your own images. You can pretty much do whatever you want.

It's certainly worth learning though imo. I do 95% of my editing in LR. Photoshop only really when I need to blend or use layers. Affinity mainly just for panoramic stitching.

See, one thing I never really do, is set black and white points.......

That's the good thing about editing your own images. You can pretty much do whatever you want.

It's certainly worth learning though imo. I do 95% of my editing in LR. Photoshop only really when I need to blend or use layers. Affinity mainly just for panoramic stitching.
I find its a good starting point, quite often use the auto method.

The first thing I do is add a Linear Profile then hit Auto.
I make a few tweaks to the image then over to Photoshop to finish up.
This is how I have always edited but nowadays with LR having more advanced masking etc than it ever did, most, not all, my editing could be done in LR

I find its a good starting point, quite often use the auto method.

And I've never used the auto button either :)

As I said, that's one good thing about editing everything and everyone is unique and there are many ways to do things. You can only learn more by using LR more regularly.

For general editing I click a usual preset I have which contains a non standard profile and a few other basic things such as daylight WB, lens corrections etc Unless I want to play with masking of some sort, that pretty much does it.

Obviously sunrise/sunset and especially my night sky stuff need more work than a simple click.

First thing to do is set the Black and White points, think it would benefit from that.
If it were me I would take the highlights down and add some careful sharpening
Great thing with digital processing, just mess about with the settings to see what happens.
I have a lot to learn in regards all the settings and what's going to work for me, but one thing I was hoping was the transferred images to the forum would look cleaner and sharper like they do on FB but there's still some degradation here. I saved as a small JPEG as I thought large would not load on the forum. All early days.

And I've never used the auto button either :)

As I said, that's one good thing about editing everything and everyone is unique and there are many ways to do things. You can only learn more by using LR more regularly.

For general editing I click a usual preset I have which contains a non standard profile and a few other basic things such as daylight WB, lens corrections etc Unless I want to play with masking of some sort, that pretty much does it.

Obviously sunrise/sunset and especially my night sky stuff need more work than a simple click.
It's going to take a while to get the hang of LR, I did another edit of this picture this morning which I like more and I think I overexposed this first one.

It's going to take a while to get the hang of LR, I did another edit of this picture this morning which I like more and I think I overexposed this first one.

Honestly, just keep at it. There's lots of fails & errors & learning etc It's part of the journey!

I now shoot images with my LR Profile in mind so I know how I shoot will give me the one click results that I like. It'll take a while, but you will get there.

Something I was told when I first started editing images was to get to the point where you think you've finished with an image then walk away ... go have a tea or coffee ... then sit down at the computer and see if it still looks the way you want it.

I find it quite useful to download a load of free presets and then after applying each one I'll look through all the settings to see what was changed to create the look.

One thing I think would be beneficial when beginning to use Lightroom is to set your camera to record jpegs and raws. As you probably know, Keith, the camera's software is set up to produce jpegs that accord with the ideas of the designers that set it up. it will show you what the potential of the file is. So you could process the raw files in Lightroom until you get a result as close as possible to the jpeg. It may be that once you get the hang of it you decide you prefer a different appearance for your files, in which case you will know from your experience how to go about doing it.

I didn't learn by this process myself, but have often thought it would be a good way of doing it.

As you can see - there's no definitive way of post processing. I tend to click through a few few colour profiles to find one I like before starting the main editing. The auto button can be useful to see what the machine thinks - sometimes yes other times yuk !!

Good luck with the learning - I found it initially seems complex but then slowly starts to fall in to place. The only tip I can offer is to try and have a plan on what you would like to do with the image - often saying it aloud e.g. it needs more contrast or that area looks too bright. This should help focus on what you want to do

Beautiful Dog!

I hope you don't mind my very quick attempt?

full

Back