Just another newbie post

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I have a couple of weeks off work and have to stay local! Can't wait to go out shooting again at the end of march!

I fancy giving a bit of still life / product photography a go - to be honest, normally it's not something I have the patience of attention to detail for.

I have a studio head, an octabox with a grid option(90cm I think), a couple reflectors.

I made a test shot last night to see if things still worked - apparently I need to fully insert the receivers into the flash head haha

Not knowing what I'm doing, I used the octa quite close on the right and a flag on the left to create some shadow. It's a bit boring, but things worked out.

So my question is, if I order something online or pop to the supermarket - is there an object that you can recommend that will be good to learn with? and also what props will help? I just used a small table and my white wall - is a sheet of perspex a good investment or how about card and stuff like that?

DSC06788-Edit.jpg

Id love to master a shot of one of those vintage lightbulbs with the twirly element inside. Reflections are a nightmare though. You can buy them from the poundshop or Home Bargains etc.

I wouldn't bother buying anything, just use things you already have.
Different shapes, materials, textures and levels of reflectivity. start with simple shapes and leave complex, highly reflective subjects until you can do a workmanlike job on the simpler lighting challenges.

I cut my subjects out of the background in PP - simpler and better than using a background, which would need separate lighting anyway.

Back