Just been DNA profiled

Hehe, I literally did laugh out loud :D

Fantastic methods of detection are all well and good but it's often let down by the courts.

I'd remind all people in favour of ID cards that they are no use if they are just kept in a wallet. Once they're in they're going to be used to be useful. And that will happen from just about pillar to post. Car parking, libraries, banks, swimming pools, you name it, anywhere they want to know you're not a risk you can bet you'll be asked to show it. The next step will be microchipping us!

Personally I'm against them. If you think about what happens when biometric data is compromised, it can't be changed and therefore to retain any use it must be added to.

And finally, do we really want to entrust our information to a beaurocratic government who have already managed to lose millions of personal data records, some of which was in America (just what were UK records doing statside anyway?).

Interesting thread, i find the whole thing a bit difficult to grasp tbh. Because its not all as simple as seems to be.

It would be very easy to mix up DNA samples at any point in the chain. ID cards like your passport can be lost stolen and cloned.

I currently have blood held in a lab following a needstick injury i got at work. But having been on the recieving end of lost samples on lots of occasions i do wonder if that blood ill be available if needed. So do they keep your DNA sample that will degrade or just the lab results. Because if its just the results, they could have been miss labelled and miss filed etc and you wont have the original sample to refer back to.

Also do identical twins have the same DNA? i know they have the same finger prints ( well at birth they do, your finger print changes over time with small cuts and things.)

Also do identical twins have the same DNA? i know they have the same finger prints ( well at birth they do, your finger print changes over time with small cuts and things.)

They don't have the same attitudes, or the same size bums when they're 25. I know, I checked :D (My wife is one)

It would be very easy to mix up DNA samples at any point in the chain. ID cards like your passport can be lost stolen and cloned

Its not at all easy to mix up samples as you suggest, and you cant clone your DNA - well at least not at home :D

Any yes true identical twins will have the same DNA.

Last edited:

Daft as it sounds, you can have a scar across a print in any unusual shape you can think of and it wouldn't be evidential as far as fingerprints are concerned. Identification has to come from the ridge patterns within the prints themselves, and nowhere else.

Identical twins don't actually have identical prints, although they may be very similar, they do have differences due to all sorts of factors such as position in the womb, individual nutrition and other considerations. There has never been a case of two people having identical fingerprints in the whole history of fingerprinting, which is the reason that fingerprints are considered 100% conclusive evidence.

DNA profiling doesn't provide 100% conclusive evidence, which is why the evidence has to quote the odds that it could be someone else - usually many millions to one against.

Personally I think DNA profiling is the biggest advance in crime detection since fingerprinting. People are getting arrested today for shoplifting or dangerous driving and as a result getting convicted of horrendous rapes and murders from over 30 years ago - it's now a common occurrence for DNA to yield these sorts of results as the database has been running for over 20 years.

It wouldn't concern me in the least giving my DNA tomorrow if need be - I have nothing to hide or fear from it. Having said that, I value my freedom and personal liberty as much as the next guy, so I can appreciate the legitimate concerns some people have about the possible misuse of the database.

So your DNA profile will now or in the near future be sold to the insurance industry (Gordon needs the money you know) So let's hope you have no hidden/unknown condition that will prevent a you getting a policy.

Personally I think DNA profiling is the biggest advance in crime detection since fingerprinting. People are getting arrested today for shoplifting or dangerous driving and as a result getting convicted of horrendous rapes and murders from over 30 years ago - it's now a common occurence for DNA to yield these sort of results as the database has been running for over 20 years

It's also a nice way to keep the police off the streets preventing crime. Why go out in the cold and rain when they can just collect DNA AFTER a crime and sit in a nice warm office running it through the database.

Last edited by a moderator:
if passports can be faked, so can ID cards.
criminals arent bothered if they drop some innocent in the sh..

i dont have a prob with DNA being taken personaly.
if you dont commit crime , youve nowt to worry about.
not sure about polaroids though.
i look guilty.;)

It's also a nice way to keep the police off the streets preventing crime. Why go out in the cold and rain when they can just collect DNA AFTER a crime and sit in a nice warm office running it through the database.

LOL. Just a little bit glib that. ;) I'm all for putting more cops on the streets, but I don't think for a moment anyone seriously believes you can prevent all crimes by doing that.

Also the database isn't worth zippo if the actual geezer they're looking for doesn't have his DNA profile on record, so it's not quite that easy. What's great about it though is someone with a clean record can commit a string of serial murders with nothing to worry about from DNA, but for the rest of his life he's at risk if he nicks a tin of beans from Asda or gets done for dangerous driving etc. Does anyone seriously find anything wrong with that? :shrug:

You are extracting the urine aren't you?

Holy thread revival :eek:

Well, I'm still walking about, not been wrongfully arrested, charged, dragged in for questioning. I'm sticking by my earlier comments, I think it should be compulsory.

I also agree with ID cards etc. Im not likely to commit any crimes so i dont mind. I know there are people who say its against human rights, but is it really?
Dean:)

I disagree with ID cards because I think they'll be pointless and expensive, how will they stop crime unless the criminal drops it at the scene, even they he could say it'd been stolen.

The government have already admitted they have no plans to make carrying the card compulsory, so what's the point :shrug:

Back