Just booked tickets for Goodwood

Edit My Images
No
for the Friday (usually a much quieter day to visit). For anyone that hasn't been, Goodwood is an excellent day out for anyone interested in cars/motorsport and history.

Fingers crossed for good weather again this year :)

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/

Had great fun queuing to get in and out last year!

Yeah itoo went last year and it was awesome, couldn't believe the noise from the F1 car engines when they start up.

It's a great day, esp. as you get so close to some beautiful machines. Me and my dad were watching these two old fellas trying to start an old indy ring racer when we both started to get really itchy eyes, we only then realised it wasn't putting out smoke but unburnt ethanol! Heh heh heh, where else could that happen!

:D

complete newbe mode here....

I went to the goodwood site. I found a page with out of date 'event news' which was no help. If I click the tickets link there is a festival of speed for Friday 7th July - is that what you are talking about?

Yeah sorry, it's the Festival of Speed you want. There are vintage cars through to historic racers (Le Mans, rallies) through to F1 cars competing in the hill climb up past Goodwood house.

On the Friday if you buy a grandstand ticket it's a roving ticket so you can sit in any of the grandstands up the hill. Well at least that's been the case for the last 4 or 5 years I've gone. Sunday is absolutely heaving with crowds though - Saturday less so but we have found Friday to be the best day for both crowds and traffic.

One other thing to watch out for is the amount of time you queue to get in. Get up as early as possible (gates normally open at 6am) to avoid queuing for 1 or 2 hours!

Some of my photos from previous years are on my site here but apologies for the pics as they were mostly taken with P&S digicams.

Just looked through your pictures - they all seem to be static shots.

Is the hill climb thing just a minor part of the day then?

Just trying to get an idea of what makes up the day. I'm not a big enough car buff to just look at them parked up :)

No the hill climb is the main part of the day, but I only had a crappy P&S camera with a rubbish zoom so I didn't bother taking pictures.

Highlights for me so far was Takuma Sato doing 6 donuts less than 5m away directly in front of us and then a massive rolling burnout up the hill :) Oh and the Pike's Peak rally cars at 1600BHP flat out up the hill!

I've been twice now 2003 and last year. Both times on the Saturday. Not really too crowded and the atmosphere is something else. My two sons 8 and 14 love it. As of last year there is a rally stage in the forest at the top of the hill. There is rides in Paris Dakar type Land Rover rides towards the top of the hill too. I've only ever watched these but the speed at which these travel over rough terrain has to be seen to be believed. You can look around the various paddocks at different cars from different race series around the world. Getting right up close to the cars as already said usually whilst the cars are being warmed up. Last year Honda were the main sponsor and when we arrived a couple of men were revving up a 60's Honda powered F1 car. The noise was amazing, hearing protection recommended, everyone applauded when they switched it off. Each year there is a different main sponsor and they will have a huge display in front of Goodwood House. There are a few good places to get good photos of the cars in action up the hill. One is where the cars come out passed the wall into an open area. My Avatar is from a series of photos I took of a Ford Focus WRC doing a 360 degree handbrake turn before continueing up the hill. This is also another place where the F1 cars as well as a few others will perform their burnouts. Tickets are only available in advance not on the gate and for Saturday and Sunday Grandstand tickets are like gold dust. Car manufacturers sometime allow their diguised prototypes to be driven up the hill too. Last year Jaguar had a disguised XK8 and Aston Martin their new V8. Expect to see other supercars too. There are aircraft flyover/displays too. I'd definately recommend it, as well as a good comfortable pair of shoes:D . Like all motorsport events, arrival and departure times are important time it wrong and you'll be sitting in traffic. take some weather protection just in case as their is little or no shelter out on the hill. Take a picnic although their will be plenty of places and stalls to get food(if you don't mind queuing) there are lots of displays and things to do at the bottom of the hill too. I very much doubt you could get bored there, unless of course you absolutely hate cars of course.:D
Renault will be title sponsor this year.

nilagin said:
There are aircraft flyover/displays too.

last year my dad and me were walking back to the car when the WWII dogfight re-enactment started over the carpark. I tell you it's bl**dy terrifying being dive bombed by a spitfire!!! :shock:

Wish I'd had the SLR then!

Sound beautiful though! :D

SammyC said:
last year my dad and me were walking back to the car when the WWII dogfight re-enactment started over the carpark. I tell you it's bl**dy terrifying being dive bombed by a spitfire!!! :shock:

Wish I'd had the SLR then!

Sound beautiful though! :D
I love the sound of Spitfires in flight they have a sound all of their own. Been to the Southend air display a couple of times and they do sound great.

I'd never heard one before but it was instantly obvious what it was. Wonderful!

Back