Just bought a Nikon 400mm AF-S f/2.8 G ED VR - Need body advice!

It will be a scam on hacked PayPal accounts. Basically done to hide the source of your money. I wouldn't be surprised if the refund comes from a different PayPal account.

Makes you wonder what the guy is playing at - looking to get away with something easily?

I wonder if EBay will "ban" him?

Probably realised he sold it too cheap, then is claiming some bullsh*t story about his supplier

Just tell him you will go and pick it up from his supplier, since he posted the suppliers address, lol

At the very least the OP should report this advert to eBay

Last edited:
OK, I knew something wasn't right. Here's the add where he ripped off the photos and some of the text:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/noranda/lenses/nikon-af-s-nikkor-400mm-f-2-8g-ed-vr/1106259679

That's Gumtree Australia. Ad was posted on the 5th this month and the seller is in Noranda WA 6062.

@Unlocker This will be a scam or some sort. You now know that seller never had the goods he advertised and used someone else's pictures, ad text and probably a hacked eBay account and fake Paypal account. Did you pay him via the eBay linked Paypal system? If I was you I'd be reporting this and quickly. If he's refunded you using someone else's Paypal your refund could get reversed and things could get messy.

Thanks for the investigate work, appreciated, will do what I can whilst we're still away.

Question: if I get a refund from a different account then surely it would show as a payment to my account and not a refund?

Thanks for the investigate work, appreciated, will do what I can whilst we're still away.

Question: if I get a refund from a different account then surely it would show as a payment to my account and not a refund?

It may be they've hacked the sellers Paypal account which would be easier enough to do if the accounts are linked. If they then add another bank account, transfer funds to that and then refund you from the sellers proper account then..

TBH, I'm not sure exactly what they're up to but the fact they wanted the money transferred via Paypal only and that they never had a lens suggests that's where the scam is taking place. I would call directly to Paypal. They're the only ones who could get this stopped/reversed.

Thanksk WingTsun for the heads up, have called PayPal, they are aware of your info and have confirmed that there is no problem with my refund.

Hopefully all is ok!

FWIW, in answer to the original post, a (very!) leftfield approach to massive reach would be a 1 series body and an FT1 adaptor. Maybe even a 2x telecon as well. I've got plenty of A3+ prints from a D750 which stand close scrutiny, even after a bit of cropping.

FWIW, in answer to the original post, a (very!) leftfield approach to massive reach would be a 1 series body and an FT1 adaptor. Maybe even a 2x telecon as well. I've got plenty of A3+ prints from a D750 which stand close scrutiny, even after a bit of cropping.

I've tried the V1 + FT-1 will long primes

I (used) the 300mm AFS f4 a lot with the V1/FT-1 for Dragonflies - works really well, got some really good shots 0 will be using the PF soon with that combo ...

I found it semi impossible to use with the 600mm f4 for birds

Ok, if he's a scammer and has your money, what makes any of us think he'll ever get this back?? Surely it'll come from back Paypal, otherwise any money coming 'back' from somewhere else isn't to be trusted either?

Last edited:
anyway it will be interesting to see what happens - £2k is a lot of money - and such "sales" seems to appear quite regularly on Ebay

Then you maybe missed the part where he got a refund, called Paypal and they said the refund will stand and is fine.
No I saw that, having read it all. I came to the conclusion he was expecting a refund, and Paypal told him there would be no issue with it?

But I can see it both ways.

Would be good to know if the money is back and secure!

Last edited:
No I saw that, having read it all. I came to the conclusion he was expecting a refund, and Paypal told him there would be no issue with it?

But I can see it both ways.

Would be good to know if the money is back and secure!

No, pretty sure he got the refund and Paypal told him it would stand, so I thinks he's good to go. I wonder if people wanting to enter a country and needing to show sufficient funds on their account ever use this trick? Sell an expensive lens or item on eBay, get paid via Paypal, funds are in your bank account within two hours. Print off your bank statement, refund the buyer and off down the immigration office with proof of sufficient funds. :confused:

Last edited:
Update:

Checked online banking this morning and the refund did hit my account yesterday.

Thanks again for all the help with the original question and the following investigative work, it's really appreciated

It certainly made me spend a lot more time on the Nikon stand compared to the Pentax stand yesterday, bit of an eye opener!

Glad to hear it worked out for you without losing money :)

Buy a 600mm f4 - you will find it cheaper and won't need a TC for that extra bit of reach over the 400mm for small birds

would you ever use f2.8 for small birds anyway ..........

if this is genuine - seemed a bargain

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIKON-AF-S-NIKKOR-ED-600mm-f-4G-IF-VR-Lens-/201540407182?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=TRYm9X%2Fhw2zjLO991WJtex3XaMc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It might be an option looking forward, the reasoning behind the 400mm is flexibility. I'm used to a very heavy 250-600mm zoom so paring it with the teleconverters gives loads more choice, put a 1.7x or 2x one for the little birdies, keep at 400mm for the larger / closer stuff!

It might be an option looking forward, the reasoning behind the 400mm is flexibility. I'm used to a very heavy 250-600mm zoom so paring it with the teleconverters gives loads more choice, put a 1.7x or 2x one for the little birdies, keep at 400mm for the larger / closer stuff!

400mm f2.8 is tripod land - the 600mm f4 is tripod land - depends what subjects you take

The 400 f2.8 has fantastic IQ, truly a superb lens but I note that you are considering a D810 and TC's ... just to mention that when I had a 400 f2.8 AF-S (non-VR) it would not AF with any TC on the D810. Worked fine on its own and Nikon could not offer any explanation, may have been a fluke but something to bear in mind ... if you do get a D810 be sure that you have the opportunity to test the lens with TC's before committing to a purchase :)

It will be a scam on hacked PayPal accounts. Basically done to hide the source of your money. I wouldn't be surprised if the refund comes from a different PayPal account.

There is definitely something going on with selling then refunding items that never existed, but I can't figure out what it is. I bought two lenses from a fairly well established eBay seller a while back, they processed refunds for both as they claimed the items had gone missing.

There are also frequently cheap sellers on Amazon for high value photography gear that come and go. As I understand it people are getting their money back when the items never materialize.

There is definitely something going on with selling then refunding items that never existed, but I can't figure out what it is. I bought two lenses from a fairly well established eBay seller a while back, they processed refunds for both as they claimed the items had gone missing.

There are also frequently cheap sellers on Amazon for high value photography gear that come and go. As I understand it people are getting their money back when the items never materialize.

Maybe some kind of money laundering.

I'm sure eBay an PayPal used to do some form of discount codes when paying for items, maybe something similar for sellers that give them a form of cash back on sales that doesn't effect the refund?

Back