Just bought a Nikon D300s - what do you think of them?

Name
DavidS
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, not been here for some time so have some catching up to do!

I have a question about the Nikon D300s I bought the other day.

I'd be interested in people's view of the camera. I also have a Nikon D5600 (and a Canon A1). I have to admit the D300s was something of an impulse buy - I was just idly browsing to see what was out there to use as a second body for my Nikon kit and ended up buying it.

I've not had the chance to put it through its paces properly yet, just trying to get to grips with the features. I realise from my first impressions that, although considerably older than my D5600, it is a superior camera in many ways, verging on the professional or at least higher end amateur sector.

Like I say, I'd be interested in your views if you have any experience with the D300s.

[If this has been posted in the wrong location, please let me know.]

Last edited:
I had one for a few weeks whilst my D850 was back for repair.
I was pleasantly surprised with what it produced, limited only by its lower pixel count, in comparison to later bodies.
For what they cost today for a really good example, you cannot go wrong.

A great camera for it's time, though superseded by newer models like the D7*** series in many ways, the build quality and ergonomics of the D300 are really nice. I would say the direct successor of that short lived series is the D500 rather than the D7***. It's not going to match the modern equivalents in terms of resolution or high ISO performance, but in half decent lighting it should still stand up very well.

As Keith says although it can’t match the resolution of modern cameras it was canons flagship small sensor DSLR for quiet a few years . I’ve had two of them , fast focus ,good I.q ... and they take virtually every lens that Nikon has ever made . Use it to hammer in nails it will still work afterwards

I had a D300 back in the day and it was a well made body, with very good autofocus capabilities for that time.

In terms of a.f it probably stands up well to much newer DSLR's

Not so good at high I.S.O though.

Back