Just bought a second hand Minolta X300..

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
As the title suggests I’ve just bought a Minolta x300 with two lenses on eBay and am waiting for it arrive. I haven’t used a film camera since school (20 years ago). Is there anything I should be checking on camera to make sure I’ve got a good working on?

Go through the shutter speeds, make sure the curtains are straight,
check the lens for fogging and mold.
Is the film advance smooth.
If you have a test roll of film load it up and make sure the rewind handle turns as you advance.

Does that camera have a built in meter? If so check the battery contacts for corrosion. And test it's accuracy against a camera or hand held light meter.

That's what I'd be checking.

Last edited:
It's quite common for the light seals to perish on cameras of this age, but that need not be a dealbreaker - you can buy replacements already cut to size on ebay etc.

It's always worth reading the original manual:

Last edited:
As the title suggests I’ve just bought a Minolta x300 with two lenses on eBay and am waiting for it arrive. I haven’t used a film camera since school (20 years ago). Is there anything I should be checking on camera to make sure I’ve got a good working on?

Hi
Well I have a X-300 if you want to know anything about it.

Thank you for all of the replies - The camera arrived Saturday and after a bit of a clean up of it and the lenses I've checked a number of the things you've all mentioned. All of the shutter speeds seem to fire properly, the film advance lever works properly and is smooth. It also came with its original manual but thank you for posting an electronic copy.

I've stuck a roll of B&W ISO 400 film in I picked up from boots to shoot and test with which I hope will expose anything not working as it should.

Back