Just bought a Sigma Tele Conv. 2x for my 400D...

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
...but i think i need some kind of adapter for the standard 18-55 lens to fit onto it? Any suggestions?

I'm a newbie i know :razz:

Matt

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is right and other people would know for sure but I would guess that the sigma tele converter (canon fit) converts Sigma lenses. The kit lens is a Canon lens, so maybe you need a canon converter if it's for a canon lens?

I might be wrong.

Why buy a tele converter for the kit lens? You should have just replaced the kit lens if you are looking for an upgrade...and you should have checked to see if it was compatible with the Canon lens, after all, your mixing 2 brands together...

I don't know if it's compatible at all, someone else probably has a better idea. I woulden't have thought it would be since it's a Sigma converter.

How much did the converter cost you?

...but i think i need some kind of adapter for the standard 18-55 lens to fit onto it? Any suggestions?

I'm a newbie i know :razz:

Matt

Hi,

if it is a Sigma convertor for a Canon fit then no problem fitting it to Canon Lenses, however I don't think it's compatible with Canon EF-S lenses due to the way they are made ie: the rear internal element would bump up against the front element of the convertor.

It will be ok on Canon EF lenses.

Mike.

Hi,

if it is a Sigma convertor for a Canon fit then no problem fitting it to Canon Lenses, however I don't think it's compatible with Canon EF-S lenses due to the way they are made ie: the rear internal element would bump up against the front element of the convertor.

It will be ok on Canon EF lenses.

Mike.

That would be the problem then, need me a EF lens :bonk:

Cheers for that Mike and for the other replies also. :)

You'll probably find the elements of the convertor and lens will clash ( causing damage ) on any wide anlge lens.

You'll probably find the elements of the convertor and lens will clash ( causing damage ) on any wide anlge lens.

Ok. What lens is recommended to go with the ex-converter?
pardon my ignorance but is the Standard Canon EF-S 18-55mm a wide angle lens?

Ok. What lens is recommended to go with the ex-converter?
pardon my ignorance but is the Standard Canon EF-S 18-55mm a wide angle lens?

Canon's own T/C's are pretty much aimed at their longer F/L primes...100mm and upwards..along with the L class zooms above 70mm on the short end.
A 2x T/C is really limited to use on the primes alone as AF is lost on slower lenses and IQ suffers disproportionately to the benefits gained...IMHO...others will no doubt disagree.

To think about using your 2x then you'd be aiming for a 200L, 300L, etc etc or a 70-200L or 100-400L zoom. There's an outisde chance of getting away with it on a longer F/L macro lens but I've not been impressed.

Bob

Thank you for your reply canon bob. I dont want to jump in too deep with buying more expensive lenses just yet.

Does anyone want this lens? Never even used!

Having quite a bit of fun just learning the ropes with my camera and all its settings as it is!! :)

Cheers
Matt

Ive got one of these. Sigma publish a list of compatable lenses on the web page.

Mine goes with a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 and works very well.

Back