Just bought my first full frame!

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I've just bought myself a full frame camera, it's a Canon 5D mark iii and i'm very excited, I have an old APS-C canon and bought EF lenses for it as I wanted a full frame eventually.
Roll on 12 years and things have moved on some so I'm looking at getting a new body to suite the lenses I have. I want a mirrorless but can't decide which one...should I even stick with Canon (heresy I know) or get a different flavour with an adapter? I've been all around the houses trying to decide and have jumped my expectations and desires to an R6 mark ii. But are there better bodies out there for similar or less money that will take the ef lenses...yes there are no doubt...so..... I decide to buy a beaten up 5D mark iii and get back into picture taking with a full frame and decide at leisure if and what body to get from this decade!

Ideally I'd like to keep the body budget below £2000 so I would appreciate some suggestions as to what full frame mirrorless bodies I should consider.
I've never shot a video.
I like all aspects of photography but walking about and portrait pics will probably see the most use.

Have I mentioned I'm so excited to be getting a full frame? Looking forward to digging the old kit out and trying all my lenses on it this weekend hopefully, mind you the mark iii will probably fill the tiny cf cards I had very quickly :)

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Mike and welcome to TP. you say your interested in taking videos as well. have you considered getting a proper camcorder? the reason I suggest is as I have been using panasonic and sony makes over the past 11 or so years and personally I am happy with the results. I accept that videoing on a full frame camera with a 1" sensor may produce a slightly better quality video. You mention cost is a concern,which is why I made this suggestion. You can get a good 4K camcorder well within your budget

May be something like the Panasonic camcoder range may suit

Last edited:
Hi Mike and welcome to TP. you say your interested in taking videos as well. have you considered getting a proper camcorder? the reason I suggest is as I have been using panasonic and sony makes over the past 11 or so years and personally I am happy with the results. I accept that videoing on a full frame camera with a 1" sensor may produce a slightly better quality video but at what cost?
He said he has never shot a video, I took that as he was not interested in video :)

Just shows how people differ on camcorders though. I used to have dedicated camcorders, but the last one I bought was a Panasonic HDC-SD900, but found a few years later I wasn't using it much, and now I have switched to Panasonic M43 cameras, I never use it, and wouldn't dream of upgrading it.
My first dedicated movie camera was a Canon Canonet 8 in 1965, now I don't use one.

I look forward to hearing how you take to FF. For me it was a big eye opener and i get no enjoyment from shooting any other digital format. I'd certainly suggest you shoot some frames with your 5DIII before leaping across to mirrorless.

The 5d3 is astill a great camera, I still use mine a lot. Dare I suggest you get used to that before spending your hard earned or something that might be a bit better. Find out what you like and dont like about FF first.

Thank you all for your replies, it's very encouraging and appreciated.

I haven't ever shot a video....it seems now you can't avoid having the capability when upgrading to this decade and still have a great full frame camera so obviously I will try it but can't think of anything I want to film, though I did like the Avengers movie, perhaps a little too ambitious!

I'm looking forward to seeing how I take to the mark iii also, assessing the lenses I have already and planning what I want in the future and seeing if my purchasing decisions back in the mid 2000's were wise choices.

What is it that attracts me to mirrorless, that's a good question. In honesty, nothing except the advancements in technology so as I'm upgrading it seems sensible to get the most advanced tech I can afford, not worried about pre loved at all either as the saving on body can be moved over to lenses.
I will now try and get my head around the options of different makes as I thought I would be married to Canon but i'm more value for money than brand loyal now but I don't want to waste the lenses I have already.
I never thought I would ever own a 5D so using the mark iii I've just bought will hopefully be brilliant compared to my old camera (wish I could remember what it was, I will know later today when I get my hands back on it) as the seeing a lot of the pictures that have been taken with it are amazing.

The Canon test drive service is a great suggestion thank you, I will look into it, do Sony and dare I say Nikon do the same or other makes?

Realistically the advancements of the mark iii by far outstrip my knowledge and ability so I have a long and hopefully enjoyable journey ahead with my new to me camera and when I improve markedly I will have caught up with the market and tech advances and be able to make an informed decision...with the help also of those kind enough on this forum to share opinions, advice and info.

Many thanks again to you all,

Mike.

Well make sure you actually want the advancements in features and technology, otherwise you could be wasting your money. They won't necessarily take a nicer photo than the camera you have now, have better colour rendition or micro contrast. And cramming more pixels into the same size sensor isn't necessarily better, either, unless you specifically want that higher resolution.

It’s a simple enough decision.
Canon mirrorless will take your lenses via an ‘adaptor’ that makes them at least as good as they are on your 5dIII
The only other mirrorless where you’ll get anything to work something like properly is Sony. But it won’t be as good, and frankly what’s the point of being frustrated when you’ve spent all that money?

So the choice is Canon, or sell it all and start from scratch.

And unless you really need the megapixels of the 5dIII, the choice is either a r6 or something worse.

Last edited:
Cheers Daniel and Phil, I agree with you both there will no doubt be features I don't need or ever use on new kit but it's good to hear it from those that know.

The mark iii has arrived :) and I have all my old kit listed below.
Canon 400D
Canon EF 50mm 1:1.4 Ultrasonic
Canon EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6 L IS Ultrasonic
Canon 1.4 extender

Tamron AF 18-250 1:3.5-6.3 IF Macro LD Di ii
Tamron SP AF Di 90 1:2.8 Macro

Sigma EX 10-20 1:4-5.6 DC HSM

I am super pleased with what the mark iii is capable of, it will out perform my ability for a very long time and I still have a smile on my face to actually be in possession of one.
Three of the lenses I have already will work well with it and two produce a "through a hole" type of effect due to being for an APS-C sensor so looking to get another lens.
Should it be a 24-70, a 24-105 or a 70-200, a Canon, Sigma, Tamron or another make entirely?
Pre loved or used is where I will be looking and if anyone can shed a little sage on the matter it would be appreciated as at the moment i'm struggling with the 2.8 or 4 dilemma in regards to the 70 or 105.
I'm leaning to the 24-105 as a lens that will be used as my all rounder but will I be disappointed wit the f4 and be better getting the f2.8 24-70.............and it goes on and on.

My time will be spent mostly reading the manual when I get one and learning the camera and confusing myself with reviews and comparisons of expensive lenses!

Cheers for now,

Mike.

Back