Just bought Speedlight 430EX II - what should I get to go with it?

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, it was a bit of an impulse buy as I've not been taking enough pictures in these dark winter months. I've no experience of flash but am quite interested in experimenting with it.

So, I guess I need a diffuser - Stofen seem dear for a wee bit of white plastic, but are they in fact much better than the £1.99 Chinese types you can pick up? Or would I be better going for something that looks like an inflated plastic lightbulb? There seems a remarkable range of diffusers out there.

Also, at the risk of trying to run before I can walk, should I be getting it off the camera with a cord or even wireless. You can pick up cheap wireless triggers I see - do they work?, if so do they work more than one unit (told you I'm getting ahead of myself) or would I possibly regret trying to do it on the cheap?

Any advice gratefully received - I can feel the money burning a hole in my pocket as I type, but on the other hand I possibly shouldn't get too carried away here.

Alistair

I've got a cheap diffuser from ebay for £4 and it works fine.

I also have an ebay off-camera cord and cheap fm radio triggers.

That will get you started, I would suggest making some Blue Peter style snoots and a honeycomb grid from black drinking straws.

Just bought Speedlight 430EX II - what should I get to go with it?

Batteries:LOL:

The Chinese "stofens" are okay, but be aware of some really cheap ones that are not white. I dont mean the coloured ones you can get for them, but the white ones, some have a slight yellow tint.
Dean:)

Get a cord and have fun!

The cheap triggers are fine if you just want to have some fun around the house.

The stofen diffuser is fine, I tend to use the lightbulb type one for weddings but the stofen is just fine.

Have a little look at Damien Lovegrove's wedding tutorials for some quick off camera flash techniques.

I have been looking at flashes should I just get the 430ex II or is it worth while getting the 580ex II bear in mind i will be a complete beginner to using flash? so is it worth paying 150ish more for the 580ex II

sorry for the hijack

You need a camera too?? Seriously, thanks for you thoughts - cheapo diffuser it is and definitely some kind of cable or wireless setup - I think I could live with losing the ETTL aspect on a wireless trigger (at least while I'm at this stage).

Regards,

Alistair

I've got a cheap diffuser from ebay for £4 and it works fine.

I also have an ebay off-camera cord and cheap fm radio triggers.

That will get you started, I would suggest making some Blue Peter style snoots and a honeycomb grid from black drinking straws.

X2 This is a great place to get started at negligible cost.

I have been looking at flashes should I just get the 430ex II or is it worth while getting the 580ex II bear in mind i will be a complete beginner to using flash? so is it worth paying 150ish more for the 580ex II

sorry for the hijack

i had the same dilema before xmas and looked at both flashes and ended up with a 580ex II simply because i thought i could grow into it and maybe after a while i would have regretted buying the 430ex II and the price diffrence at the time was only £100

You need a camera too?? Seriously, thanks for you thoughts - cheapo diffuser it is and definitely some kind of cable or wireless setup - I think I could live with losing the ETTL aspect on a wireless trigger (at least while I'm at this stage).

Regards,

Alistair
my first purchase was a sto-fen £15 now looking to get a oc-e2 or oc-e3..

You can have lots and lots of fun with them without breaking the bank. I have a couple of Vivitar 285's that I use wirelessly and you can make all sorts of modifiers for them. Don't limit yourself to what you can buy, get your Blue Peter head on!

I made a grid out of the plastic container for washing tablets and got some gels that I can tape inside it. Painted the inside white and the outside black and hey presto! I have an instant background light that has colour and pattern to it. Stick that against a bland wall and shoot the subject in front of it for more impact.

Then there is the famous black straw snoot...............(I've not done that one yet)

You can make all sorts of stuff for them, google or strobist is your friend :)

I;ve tried the cheapo wireless thingies and I've not been impressed...everything needs to be done manually. the ST canon wireless is awesome.
cheapo difusers aren't that bad but you do get what you pay for.
decent batteries are a must...start firing fast on the 430ex and they make lovely handwarmers when you take them out

Do a search on the forum for 'Gel Sample Packs'. There should be a link to the Lee Filters site where you can request a swatch set of their filters. I got some of these just before christmas and they're great. Hours of fun.
I'm hoping to try them out properly tonight.

Use an old margarine tub, works great.

Back