Just built my first computer!

Name
GF
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I decided a few weeks ago that I was fed up with my laptop speed, so decided to build a pc to get the most pc for my money...

I found that if you take it slow and steady it is all quite simple really, although It was loading windows onto it within about 30 minutes!

The spec is: Intel Dual Core 3.2GHz Processor, 4GB of RAM, 512mb Graphics card, 80GB SATA HDD and a 17" dell monitor.

Things needing doing: Buy a card reader for it. Overclock it a bit (hopefully up to about 3.4GHz, but not too sure) and get a larger HDD.

Anyway, two pictures to show how cool (tacky lights) it looks!

3205316833_5ae3151cc3_o.jpg

3205316425_15a7acb5a7_o.jpg

George

Well done - looks good. I have been building my own PCs for years and would find it difficult to buy one from PC World/Dell etc. If you build it, you get exactly what you want.

Chris

Nice, I too prefer building my own PC's now. Also means I usually know what to replace if something goes wrong :D

Just need to tidy up that spaghetti wiring! ;)

That's a pretty 1337 system

You should a get a nice monitor just to finish that off :D

Nicely done, enjoy it! Building your own is the way to go :) Although the case is a bit tacky for my tastes :p A next step is like MikeeB said and perhaps tidy up your wiring seeing as you have a side window. Time to grab some cable ties and go wild :D

Cool! I'm having exactly the same problem with my laptop but the best I can build is a flatpack book case :D :p

That looks like it was built by the borg. Nice one mate. Easier than it sounded eh? I remember the first machine I built, was a total beast back in the day, tremendous sense of achievement :D

Well done.

I've built my last three systems and love it. Great sense of achievement as Kayjay says.

Trouble is now I'm all broody to go build another one.

well done, I usually build my own, although dell do great prices if you are buying for someone else.

One thing, you have your port bays open at the back, thats going to let dust in.

I think that it made quite a difference the way the cpu was in and the heat gel stuff was already on the heatsync for the processor. I have now cable tied the wires and they look a lot better...

Oh yeah, I now need to pay for it, as I took the money from my savings and my dad said that I was not allowed..

oh yeah, for those interested, it only cost 185 quid...!

George

the heat gel stuff was already on the heatsync for the processor.
George

If your gonna overclock it a bit i recomment a aftermarket cooler! The stock one that comes with intel processors is pants!

Thats presuming you are using the stock one. But it's unusual for an aftermarket one to come with thermal paste pre applied.

One thing to keep in mind if you do overclock it (as you don't list it in your spec) is the power supply. Upgrading the CPU and GPU consumes additional power and a PSU on the edge can cause all sorts of irritating and random faults.

Back