Just Curious?

Name
Lennard
Edit My Images
Yes
HI, do all you Landscape Professional Photographers when you go on Holiday with your Family, Wife, Kids, etc, do you take your full compliment of Kit (just in Case) or a small selection, or a point and Shoot, or Smartphone.

or do you just go to enjoy the Holiday and make notes to come back and do it again.?

I normally take some photography gear. Depends on the holiday as to what I take. When I went to Yosemite I took everything I would normally use. If I'm going on a city break then it's a travel tripod and one lens usually.
Hong Kong I shot everything handheld with a prime lens as I knew I wouldn't have time to stand around with my tripod.

I haven't had an exotic holiday for about 10 years, but usually I used to take one camera body and a 28-80 or similar zoom, plus a decent point-and-shoot for street. Twice visiting Hong Kong I bought a cheap tripod to do night photographs over the harbor and Aberdeen. On a business trip for a month around South America I took full kit - two bodies, three lenses with some accessories but no tripod - and hardly managed any photos due to being too busy with work!
I think now it would totally depend on where I was going and would specifically agree up front that I was doing some togging for a couple of days of the holiday! (of course any such agreement would be subject to curtailment by the MD)

I'm not a pro but on a recent city break to New York, I bought a small travel camera (Panasonic LX100), and coupled with a tabletop/pocket tripod and a screw on ND, I had everything I needed. However, on return, the missus berated me for spending too much time taking photos than actually romancing her.
My priority at home was to process my 600 shots and get them out there, on social media for all to see. In hindsight, some selfies and holiday snaps of us would have been a better idea. She wasn't happy.

For holidays I take the panasonic DMC-LX7 that i bought off these forums ...

However i did one holiday north scotland and took long lens to capture feeding dolphins and puffins ..... every other holiday a really good pocket camera is plenty :)

thus...I guess it depends on the holiday ?

Take my camera and any lenses and tripod. If I’m on holiday then part of it is mine to do as I please just as we make time for her to do what she wants. I’m fortunate in that usually she gets to see great scenery that then has to be photographed.

No professional, but I normally take a body & lenses, though with an eye on weight because it all comes as hand luggage in the cabin (plus 13" laptop too).

Trip to Canada included Nikon D610, 28-105, 12-24, 50 f1.8, 135 f2.8 plus a few filters & stuff.

I used to but only ended up either getting frustrated that i couldn't get out and shoot or cause an argument with the other half because i did. I take the Fuji X100F on holidays nowadays. This summer we went to the alps and i took all the gear but couldn't get out to shoot as my family were all sleeping in my camper van! Very frustrating!!!

Depends on the holiday and what I think I can get away with.
Earlier this year we spent a week in Scotland (Loch Lomond, Glen Coe and Cairngorms), so I took my 6D, 16-35, 24-105, 70-300 and 50mm, plus filters, tripod and EOS M10 backup camera ;)
My argument with this was that I didn't know when I would next get back to Scotland so I wanted some good images. My OH was pretty good about it, even allowing me nearly an hour at the waterfall in Glen Coe, while the kids played in the water.
I didn't use the 50mm and barely touched the EOS M10.

In the summer we went to Devon and I cut it down (slightly), I took the 6D, 16-35, 24-105 and 50mm, filters, tripod and EOS M10 again.
This time I varied what I carried around during the day according to what we were doing.
Both were family camping holidays, but the Devon trip had the in-laws as well, so there was less time to spend on photography and less time for individual pursuits on the whole.
Like Andrew, it's hard to get out for sunrise or sunset if you're camping.

My thought is that it's my holiday too and I like to enjoy a trip by taking photographs... so long as everyone else gets to do something they want.

Back