Just finished latest art(?) project and thought I'd share it...

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
No
It's not photographic but could, I guess, be classed as something to do with being artistic?

Steampunk gauntlet and gun on a canvas treated to look like rusted metal. All my own work down to the creation of the little pistons and placing each individual miniature cog, gear and structure! Quite pleased with how it came out - thinking I'll probably incorporate a small highlight lamp at the top of it to spotlight it when it's up on the wall.
'Scuse the phone pics...

IMAG0957.jpg IMAG0961.jpg

Nice work, needs better lighting on it for sure to make it pop.
How do you glue all the bits together?

Nice work, needs better lighting on it for sure to make it pop.
How do you glue all the bits together?
Thanks.
Yes, think I'll get the lamp done on the top.

Gluing is mainly superglue with some hot glue and contact adhesive thrown in there too in some places! Foam joins are usually contact adhesive unless they're tiny, then they're superglue. Cogs, gears, pistons and tiny support structures are all superglue-bonded. It's not a 'working' prop, just hangs on the wall so I decided that would suffice and it is actually pretty solidly held together!
Regards
Jim

Looks cool. I'd hang it on my wall

Thanks.
Yes, think I'll get the lamp done on the top.

Gluing is mainly superglue with some hot glue and contact adhesive thrown in there too in some places! Foam joins are usually contact adhesive unless they're tiny, then they're superglue. Cogs, gears, pistons and tiny support structures are all superglue-bonded. It's not a 'working' prop, just hangs on the wall so I decided that would suffice and it is actually pretty solidly held together!
Regards
Jim

Cheers, looks really good, so obviously works. Maybe don't hang it above a radiator or heat source? :D

Yep, that looks really good, I like it. Very well done. :cool: (a business opportunity?)

Cheers, looks really good, so obviously works. Maybe don't hang it above a radiator or heat source? :D

Or your bed head. :crying:

Liking that, what brand of colour are you using (professional interest as I sell a lot of acrylic for the mixed media market).

Liking that, what brand of colour are you using (professional interest as I sell a lot of acrylic for the mixed media market).

Thanks.
For anyone interested in the process (and to answer your question Moz):

The canvas is done with a base black gresso (Daler-Rowney) then DecoArt Blue pearlescent fluid acrylic mixed with a little DecoArt Green Gold fluid acrylic, then some Galeria medium grain gel for the rust texture applied with a palette knife, then various shades & colours of Sennelier Abstract acrylics for the rust colour, and finally a light patchy dry brush of Daler-Rowney System3 acrylic Copper.

The gun is a repurposed Nerf gun, split in half, base coated and weathered and then coloured with DecoArt Metallic Lustre in Gold, Silver & Copper.
The gauntlet is mainly made from foam (7mm & 2mm), base coated with black gresso and standard black acrylic then all the cogs, etc are built up into the various designs and structures, put in place then it's also coloured with DecoArt Lustre in Gold, Silver, Copper and Brass.
The hand pistons are aluminium tubes from B&Q which fit inside each other very neatly, and the thumb piston is made from bamboo skewer and plastic tubing, primed and lustred as well.

Just in the process of doing the steampunk style lamp which fits on the top for a highlight - also thinking some small coloured LED's in little enclosures to light diagonally upwards from the two bottom corners - right blue and left amber.

Regards
Jim

Yep, that looks really good, I like it. Very well done. :cool: (a business opportunity?)

Thanks. Possibly a business opportunity - it's something I'm new to and it kind of evolved from a bit of photography prop making I've been doing so I may do a few more (got some ideas along the same lines) and see what happens. Steampunk style art is actually getting quite popular at the moment so worth a punt possibly! If I can produce a high enough standard.
Regards
Jim

Back