Just found my way in - Film enthusiast from NE England.

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
I am a retired person and mainly concentrate on shooting and developing B&W. If I can get well exposed and decent photographs from old cameras I am happy. Many years ago I used to post photos to Panoramio, before Google got bored with it and closed it down. I am looking forward to having a wander around this forum and contibuting some of my humble efforts.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find there are a lot of film enthusiasts here - pop over to the Film and Conventional section.

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum, have fun here :welcome:

:fuji:

Thanks folks! As a bit more info: When I registered I was asked for my number 1 and number 2 cameras etc, but I don't really have favourites as they are all my babies and get used (apart from the broken ones). I retired December 2021 and since then have taught myself B&W developing because of the cost and also I was horrified to discover that a certain photo shop had ruined 10 years worth of negatives, which became apparent when I bought a new scanner and decided to revisit my photos to see if I could scan them better than the shop.

Unfortunately I can only scan 35mm on my Plustek and have just been gifted an Ensign Selfix 16-20 medium format camera in super condition. Ho hum....

How did they ruin the negatives?

At a guess, scratches?

Keith, look out for an Epson flatbed at a reasonable price. I've used them for years and found them highly satisfactory for medium format (and, in my case) above.

PS. I have an Ensign in 6x9 format.

Norkie: Thick scrapes on the emulsion side, which I assume is from the cutting table as they don't appear on the scans on CD.

StephenM: I have a Canoscan 8800F, but Canon decided not to produce drivers for Windows 10 (****s!). I cobbled together a frame to hold my smart phone above a white screen on my tablet and shot the negatives held in the Canoscan's 120 negative holder. Phone scans are quite poo though! With my limited pensioner's resources I will eventually upgrade my scanning capability, but not until I have upgraded my processing to include C41.

Hi Keith, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Canon might not have, but Hamrick did. I've used Vuescan for scanning ever since I started scanning.

I thought that the price was MUCH higher than I paid, but after a long search, I finally found that I paid $79.95 (whatever that then was in pounds Sterling) back in October 2003. Still well worth it, as it saved me hours of scanning time (but that's another story) with 5x4 negatives.

Welcome to TP Kieth go to Film and Conventional , their I nice bunch of guys on there. Just don't talk the Digital guys , You know what their like and it only encourages them ! :)

Last edited:
While I can understand the 30 day wait before I can post in the Marketplace forum, I'm not sure why I can't at least view it. Oh well...... just another 12 days to go........ :(

I thought that the price was MUCH higher than I paid, but after a long search, I finally found that I paid $79.95 (whatever that then was in pounds Sterling) back in October 2003. Still well worth it, as it saved me hours of scanning time (but that's another story) with 5x4 negatives.
+1 on Vuescan. Superb software and worth the money IMHO. I use it on all three of my scanners.

On that subject, an Epson Perfection 3200 scanner can be found very cheap online and does a decent job on MF negatives. I also have a V500 which likewise does a nice job, I have kept the 3200 because it will do 4x5. I figure if I have an image that I truly think is worth displaying I will have the negative professionally scanned on a Norita or the like. Haven't had to do that too often :D

Back