Midlands Just getting back into photography again

Name
Josh
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm just getting back into photography again after becoming disabled over the last couple of years or so and not even looking at my camera for ages!

I put the batteries on charge this evening with the intention of trying to use it again going forwards.

If anyone has any tips for using a camera with a wheelchair let me know, I'm all ears!

Josh

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum :)
I think it's great that you are positive about using your camera again, don't let anything get in your way, let's see some images soon ;)

Hi Josh, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Hi Josh! I am also new to the forum and I'm wanting to learn about photography in depth.
Good luck!

Thanks all, hopefully I'll have some stuff to share soon!

Hi Josh and welcome , Is your wheelchair manual or powered ?

It's a powered foldable one - a Pride i-go lite.

I can't use my arms enough to move myself in my manual one so it's been brilliant to start getting a bit of freedom again!
That's good , What sort of range does it have on a full charge ?

In all honesty I'm not sure, it says it's roughly 15km, I've used it all day and it's been nowhere near flat so it's pretty decent - I bought a 2nd battery when I got it just in case but I've never needed to swap them during the day yet.

When I was looking I went for the one that folded, was the lightest, and had the longest range that I could find!

A friend of mine who ended up quite seriously disabled had a clamp which attached to the arm (if I remember correctly) of his wheelchair and the camera was mounted on an arm extending from that. It was a long time ago, he died in 2001, but may be worth trying a search for.

A friend of mine who ended up quite seriously disabled had a clamp which attached to the arm (if I remember correctly) of his wheelchair and the camera was mounted on an arm extending from that. It was a long time ago, he died in 2001, but may be worth trying a search for.
I'm sorry for your loss. I've looked at a disabled photography website and they recommend the Manfrotto magic arm which sounds like the sort of thing you're talking about, but it's pricey and I'm not sure I'll be able to tighten the connections on the joints on that kind of thing. I'm investigating a much cheaper alternative for holding it, I just need to get something and try it out.

I think I just need to get used to the idea that my viewpoint and the angle I can take photos at is significantly reduced compared to before, where I could stand up or kneel down etc to get the right angle now they're all going to be roughly the same.

I think I just need to get used to the idea that my viewpoint and the angle I can take photos at is significantly reduced compared to before, where I could stand up or kneel down etc to get the right angle now they're all going to be roughly the same.
Hi Josh!
Basically, you are right, first of all you have to get used to the limitations that exist today. Later, when you get used to it, you will be able to understand how it is most convenient for you to take photos, and perhaps develop your own style.
What do you like to photograph?

Hi Josh!
Basically, you are right, first of all you have to get used to the limitations that exist today. Later, when you get used to it, you will be able to understand how it is most convenient for you to take photos, and perhaps develop your own style.
What do you like to photograph?
I like architecture and buildings generally, landscapes, engineering / vehicles... Basically anything that doesn't involve people or animals

I like architecture and buildings generally, landscapes, engineering / vehicles... Basically anything that doesn't involve people or animals
Then I think that you will not have big difficulties, I will be glad to see your work!

Back