Just go a SB600

Name
Kardo Ayoub
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I just got a SB600 for my D300s.
I was wondering if anyone knows any good sites to get some good tutorials about using the CLS system and get creatvie with it.

I wanted to get the SB900 but couldn't justify the extra £120. I hope I wont regret it.

Many thanks,
Kardo

Hi all,
I just got a SB600 for my D300s.
I was wondering if anyone knows any good sites to get some good tutorials about using the CLS system and get creatvie with it.

I wanted to get the SB900 but couldn't justify the extra £120. I hope I wont regret it.

Many thanks,
Kardo

You will regret it ;)

wilky

I think we're missing the obvious strobist.com plug here! CLS wise, there isn't a lot to it;it's just another way to trigger your flashes. Hot shoe diaries is great, I've only just started it, but NOT recommended for absolute beginners. Cut your teeth on strobist first.

Many thanks,
Kardo

You won't regret it if you're primarily using CLS. It's exactly the same as a remote flash, just use the onboard CLS commander (y) . On camera is slightly different however..

Have a look at www.dtowntv.com there is 1 or 2 episodes on cls and flash in general. Also worth looking at the other episodes on there.

When you use the onboard flash as a commander to trigger the remote flashes does the onboard flash, the camera flash, contribute to the exposure or is it just there to trigger the remote one. if it does is there any way to stop that and have your lighting coming only from the remote ones?

Ken Rockwell has a useful guide to Nikon off camera flash LINK

Click the first link on the page (How to use wireless flash control) for some plain English instructions, a lot easier to follow than the Nikon instruction manual

When you use the onboard flash as a commander to trigger the remote flashes does the onboard flash, the camera flash, contribute to the exposure or is it just there to trigger the remote one. if it does is there any way to stop that and have your lighting coming only from the remote ones?

Minimal, barely detectable exposure most of the time. However if your subject is reflective, it might be seen. You can get a Nikon accessory to block the light, it sits on the hotshoe.

You can set the onboard to TTL, M or -- which wont effect the exposure. All the options for this are under e2 I think :thinking:

Thanks guys that is great I'm really excited and looking forward to using it hopefully soon i will add a SB900 to get more creative options as well

As already said, I've also found it does slighty contribute to the exposure.

Well I have been using it for a bit and I must say I'm amazed. the CLS just blows me away, all i need now to get another one or maybe 2 and go crazy with them.

Back