Just got a nikon D40x....

Edit My Images
Yes
Great camera, it's my first DSLR, i picked it up from Jessops at £450 (after a bit of bargining with the floor manager)

I got one too!!

Just starting up in photography, have always had an interest, but was scared stiff about using film!! Now digital has really taken off its so much easier and fun to get into photography. really love mine, have fun!!

s006.gif
to the Darkside ... :D

Enjoy your new toy and post some pics soon ... (y)

08.gif

congratulations, looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

ahhh thanks guys. currently looking for a really good telephoto lens, but being fairly limited with the lens not sure which ones best. wanted a good zoom (ideally 200mm or 300 mm) with VR, any ideas?

Plus, I think they will both AF on the D40x because of the AF-S? Not quite sure though.

Yup. The D40/D40X will autofocus with any AF-S, AF-I and HSM lenses. As for a telephoto lens, im probably going to end up going with the Sigma 50-500mm Doesn't have VR, but i'd probably use it on a tripod anyway.

I also considered that, but I wanted to be able to handhold really (don't like tripods!!). There's a bigma going for £300 in the classifieds by the way, unless someone has bought it : http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=29680

I don't think my hands would be quite stable enough to handhold the length I want (o eer, that sounded wrong:naughty:) I basically want as much reach as possible, yet retain a decent max aperture. The f6.3 aperture of the 50-500 does bother me somewhat, but I can't see any other way of getting 500mm for that sort of money, plus 50mm on the wide end would be very practical. I spotted the one for sale, but it looks like someone already has dibs on it, and I won't have enough money until payday. (Got a Lee filter kit this month instead.)

70-300 VR would leave you with a gap in your zoom range (I'm assuming you got the 17-55 kit lens with the d40x?)

The 55-200 VR is available for £175 from onestop digital. Should be hand holdable down to about 1/100th of a second with the VR at full stretch. Maybe even lower if you can hold a lens steadier than me lol!

70-300 VR would leave you with a gap in your zoom range (I'm assuming you got the 17-55 kit lens with the d40x?)

The 55-200 VR is available for £175 from onestop digital. Should be hand holdable down to about 1/100th of a second with the VR at full stretch. Maybe even lower if you can hold a lens steadier than me lol!

I've read that you can go as low as 1/10th!

Not with my tremor you can't lol.

Alas, years of substance abuse, both illegal and prescribed has left it's toll on my fine motor control lol.

The worst candidate for me is My inhaler and caffeine. Over-use of both makes my hands tremble like I have Parkinsons.

Back