Just got an Epson RD-1

What are the repair bills like on these if they go wrong, are you talking a write off? Or a Japan only fix? I do like the pics posted in the thread though, looks a capable little camera.

What are the repair bills like on these if they go wrong, are you talking a write off? Or a Japan only fix? I do like the pics posted in the thread though, looks a capable little camera.

It's pretty solid and there isn't much to go wrong but Japancamerahunter do everything for £150 (insured shipping/postage there and back, delivery to Epson, repair and return)

A few guys have used this service, a friend in the states had his back in 3 weeks fully serviced and like brand new.

I have no need to send mine off but when I do (perhaps just for a check up) I've got other cameras I can use in the meantime. I know folk who have waited longer for a UK based repair on a very common piece of equipment. In fact I waited 2 months for a Leica M4 service just down the road!!

If the Japanese are anything then they are efficient, I wouldn't be too worried about sending a camera around the world to them for repair.

Looking at a Voigtlander 35 f1.2 or a Zeiss 25 f2.8 for now. Monday will decide....:)

Voigtlander took first place, very nice too but what a camera, cost me a fortune but I'm very happy with the machine. I'd buy another as back up if I had the money, that's how good I think it is. A design classic for sure, if they bring out a modern update I'd save up for it in an instant, maybe Cosina are going to look into it come Photokina this September.
I can only dream but so far what it does offer is fantastic, a digital camera with analogue controls and shutter cocking 'film advance' lever,outstanding.

And lo and behold, I did it again, R-D1 this time, mint cond. updated firmware, cameraleather skin,leather case,handgrip and a bunch of extras. These cameras really are fantastic in low light and a joy to use,the only example I have seen of pure digital/analogue simplicity and function outside of Leica's M series.

Last edited:
Great!! So you have two now? Do you have two lenses as well?

I'm still using mine as my #1. It's been excellent as my go-to camera for my travels over the last two years, taking photos for my website blog where I visit bass guitar manufacturing companies around the world.

Can I share a few faves from 2012?

ARos Terrace BW by chiscocks, on Flickr

Jason @ Rotosound by chiscocks, on Flickr

Mirror fun 2 by chiscocks, on Flickr

Are you on Flickr, Steve?

I almost bought one of these about a month back for a decent price, but dithered and it was sold. Going from the M9 back to a DSLR like the D800 I do miss the DRF feel and look with the RF glass.

Yep, own two now, I dithered over a bargain price one that had been serviced by Epson this year with a new shutter, needless to say , he who hesitates and all that so wasted no time on the next opportunity, mint condition with loads of extras.
Lenses are CV 35 f1.2, CV 35 f2.5,CV 15 f4.5 CV 50 f1.5 and a Jupiter 8 50 f2, I bought the second as a backup though the first only had <150 actuation's if the seller was being truthful. Both are spotless and have clearly been looked after.
I've no flickr account, I've just bought LR4 and am slowly finding my way through that.
I've got a little project on the go but time is so limited this could take well over a year to complete, it's the time required plus travel, weather conditions and dealing with the crowds of central London that are all part of the equation but I enjoy the camera so much it's really no ordeal by any means.
I've not started on flickr as I want to build up a portfolio, it's something for another day, I really need to back the pictures up though. I find that at this time I'm using the higher iso settings and that and the J8 make for some lovely soft focus shots, or maybe it's just my naff focusing that needs addressing.
Funnily enough Laudrup, I went from film SLR to rangefinder and have found a new lease of life after a 15 year hiatus. It is an exceptional camera in so many ways and I could care less about it 'only' having 6 mp

This might be of some interest.
Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
If any one is interested in selling an Epson R-D1 or knows somewhere where I can get one I would be thrilled, thanks.:)

Back