Just got my new Crumpler Muffin Top 7500

If I ditch the filters into the pouch and thin out some of the crap in there, then it's possible to fit a netbook into the main compartment as well.

The 24-105 is as fat as the 70-200 but obviously not as tall, so not a particularly small lens but not a giant!

I don't think I'd use the front pouch for much, just batteries and memory cards. Seriously tempted to go ahead and buy one of these now :)

Do you think I could fit a 5D MKII, 70-200 2.8 IS, 24-105, 50 1.4 and a flash in there? Or is that going to be a bit too squashed?! I'd keep one lens on the camera, most likely the 24-105.

Not really. While you can get a heck of a lot of kit in there, it needs to be properly protected and accessible.

Half the bag is taken up with my 40D with 17-55 2.8 attached, face down. 5D2 is only fractionally bigger, and 24-105 L is fractionally smaller.

70-200 2.8 is a big lens - 197mm long plus caps. It will go standing upright, but it's really 20-30mm too long. It's not ideal, and would stand well proud of the main compartment even though the top flap will still close over it okay. You would then have just enough room, I think, for a 580EX flash to stand upright, but nowhere for the 50 1.4.

Try it. Don't take my word for it!

I've just ordered a Billingham shoulder pad (£15) to replace the Crumpler one, which has no friction grip whatsoever. Such a shame on an otherwise great bag where attention to lots of detail is obvious in every other area.

Sweet Jesus.
Ordered mine yesterday and it arrvied this morning. Black and Mustard colour.
Ive got mine setup almost the same as in the OP.
Ive got my 5D Mkii sitting in the middle with my nifty fifty and flash on the side. Ive used the extra padding to create a circle in the middle section which nicely supports the 24-105.

What a great sized bag, very compact and perfect for someone with few lenses.

Love it.

just thought i'd add here for those of us with less kit...for now.
I've been using crumpler products for years and recently bought a pretty boy xxl (5500 equivalent) in olive. It takes my D40 with kit lens, nifty fifty, 2 hoya filters in cases, spare battery cards etc and i'll still have room for a flash and another lens. Really like the design and not as bulky as 7500 size. FWIW Jacobs usually keep a large range so can check fit even if they don't have the colours you're after.
I love the look of the x million dollar home range but they're not available in europe and it's extortion to get them shipped to the uk.

Joe

I had a black 7 million dollar home about a year ago and it was huge, when i filled it up it almsot was too heavy to carry on the shoulder.

I think if you are going to have alot of kit you need a backpack of some variety.

well if the four lenses are nifty's you might ;)

bit of a thread bump - I was looking for a bag for my camera and bits and I was wondering if this would fit the bill.

It needs to carry:
Canon 40D + 17-55 IS f2.8
70-200 L f4
1.4 x extender

Plus a few other accessories. I get the impression this will comfortably do the job, but I was also wondering what it's like to carry around over long distances? I am also looking for something to take hiking later this summer so I'm thinking a rucksack might be better for that, but then that would be more difficult when it comes to taking it out for shots. Is it reasonably comfortable to walk with?

Make sure you get the larger 7500 bag. I have the 5500 and only just squeeze in a 40D with 35 L lens mounted, plus 70-200 F4 IS. Very comfy though. I've used it as hand luggage on flights, and you tend to spend a lot of time walking round airports, so consider that a good test.

Welcome to TP Oli :)

Your kit will fit perfectly in a Muffin Top 7500. See my posts above. But be warned that the shoulder strap is very slippy but a Billingham replacement sorts that.

I'm not sure how you'd get on hiking with this bag - it's mainly for quick access from over the shoulder, and perhaps less good on a bumpy ride. I have a Lowepro Slingshot for that (as do many others) and it's very good, with none of the difficult access you get with back-packs.

Make sure you get the larger 7500 bag. I have the 5500 and only just squeeze in a 40D with 35 L lens mounted, plus 70-200 F4 IS. Very comfy though. I've used it as hand luggage on flights, and you tend to spend a lot of time walking round airports, so consider that a good test.

Thanks Nick :) I might get a smaller one as well just to use when I don't need all my lenses.

Welcome to TP Oli :)

Your kit will fit perfectly in a Muffin Top 7500. See my posts above. But be warned that the shoulder strap is very slippy but a Billingham replacement sorts that.

I'm not sure how you'd get on hiking with this bag - it's mainly for quick access from over the shoulder, and perhaps less good on a bumpy ride. I have a Lowepro Slingshot for that (as do many others) and it's very good, with none of the difficult access you get with back-packs.

thanks :) The slingshot does look a good bet actually - I was originally looking at one some time ago. I'll probably end up with 2 bags - but that's not the end of the world!

edit - I just realised something, have I stumbled into a world of fellow east-midlanders? :)

thanks :) The slingshot does look a good bet actually - I was originally looking at one some time ago. I'll probably end up with 2 bags - but that's not the end of the world!

edit - I just realised something, have I stumbled into a world of fellow east-midlanders? :)

Yeah, there are quite a few of us around Peterborough/Cambridge :)

Only two bags? I wish... But don't get a smaller one. The Crumpler is so light it makes no difference, and you always need spare space when changing lenses for caps, hoods, filter cases etc. Makes life so much easier.

I could get an extra two lenses and a Gorillapod in mine if I wanted, and that is always the temptation, and then you're back with a cumbersome weight you don't want to carry. The whole point of this bag for me is to travel light, and I've got a bit of spare working room plus somewhere to stash a drink and sarnies ;)

Yeah, there are quite a few of us around Peterborough/Cambridge :)

Only two bags? I wish... But don't get a smaller one. The Crumpler is so light it makes no difference, and you always need spare space when changing lenses for caps, hoods, filter cases etc. Makes life so much easier.

I could get an extra two lenses and a Gorillapod in mine if I wanted, and that is always the temptation, and then you're back with a cumbersome weight you don't want to carry. The whole point of this bag for me is to travel light, and I've got a bit of spare working room plus somewhere to stash a drink and sarnies ;)

Excellent - sounds perfect, I was looking for something I could take to things like cricket matches so room for sarnies is always a bonus :)

I ended up buying a Muffin Top 5500 from Bristol Cameras... and returned it the day after it turned up. Ignore the sizes they state! If you think the 5500 will do, buy the 7500!

I ended up being given a Pretty Boy XXXL from another TP forum member :D

Oops sorry i deleted them and forgot about this thread! I'll get it sorted but wont be till next week.

This is how this bag suits me. Im amazed about how much i can (just) fit in.

As you can see i put the 5D MKii in so it faces me when i have it over my shoulder. This means i can have the grip slighlty over the left side with the dividing flap adding some protection. Then on the left i have a CPL, ND110 filters, memory cards, rocket blower, CF reader.
On the right i have the 580 at the back and the nifty fifty with Cactus underneath.

And the best bit is the front pouch.
I can fit in there my new Acer A150L which i bought instead of keep buying CF cards (1GB RAM, 120GB, 1kg, Win XP (soon) 8.1" screen) I have got a CF card reader so whenever i fill my CF card i transfer it to the Acer and then when i get home put it all on the main PC.

I really love this bag.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_00012.jpg

Compare this with the Muffin Top 5500 ...

... and ...

... with 40D with 35 L attached and 70-200 F4 IS.

Thats the difference in physical size between 5D Mkii and 40D. I think the 5D is about 6cm wider meaning its tight fitting it in that way round.

Nice fit for your kit.

40D and 5D are practically the same size - only a few mm in it. Bag looks too small.

I would say don't buy the smaller bag - there's no point as the bigger bag is really no heavier. Very light indeed. Use the spare space for changing lenses. Just don't be tempted to fill it with extra stuff you don't need ;)

40D and 5D are practically the same size - only a few mm in it. Bag looks too small.

I would say don't buy the smaller bag - there's no point as the bigger bag is really no heavier. Very light indeed. Use the spare space for changing lenses. Just don't be tempted to fill it with extra stuff you don't need ;)

Sorry, didnt mean CM, that would be massive !!! :LOL:

Still cant fit mine that way round in a 5500. bu i need to get more in mine

Another thread bump. I'm also looking to purchase a Muffin Top but can't decide which size to get as I read everywhere that it's misleading.

This is what I need space for:
-Canon 50D with 17-85mm attached
-Canon 70-300mm IS USM
or a Gorillapod
-An external flash such as the 580EX II or the 430EX II
or a Canon 50mm F/1.4
-Memory cards and extra battery

Ideally I would like space for a Canon 100-400mm because I might buy that eventually to replace the 70-300mm.
I might also mention that I don't have any of this kit yet, bit I want a bag that will have space for everything that I will need.
Thanks in advance.

I think you would have a hard job getting a 100-400 in even a 7500, you would be better looking at whatever the crumpler daily equivalent is as thats a lot deeper.

Thanks for the reply.
Shame for the 100-400mm. So if you ignore that lens which one would you recommend?

Another thread bump. I'm also looking to purchase a Muffin Top but can't decide which size to get as I read everywhere that it's misleading.

This is what I need space for:
-Canon 50D with 17-85mm attached
-Canon 70-300mm IS USM
or a Gorillapod
-An external flash such as the 580EX II or the 430EX II
or a Canon 50mm F/1.4
-Memory cards and extra battery

Ideally I would like space for a Canon 100-400mm because I might buy that eventually to replace the 70-300mm.
I might also mention that I don't have any of this kit yet, bit I want a bag that will have space for everything that I will need.
Thanks in advance.

Good news. Muffin Top 7500 takes a 40D with 17-55 2.8 plus hood, 100-400 L plus hood, and 580EX. It's actually a nice easy fit. I just tried it.

Swap the 100-400 for a 70-300 and you could probably get a 50 underneath it. Batteries, cards, filters etc in the front pocket :)

I can also lay a Gorillapod over the top and still close the flap.

Thanks for the info. I will probably get the 7500. It seems to be just the right size for everything I need (and want).
Cheers

Got mine the other week - I was impressed with it, until the first time I took it out properly to use it the buckle broke and wouldn't undo! I had to get a pair of pliers on it and had to just use the velcro strap, which I soon found out was not really sufficient to hold everything in place, to the expense of a new hoya filter (fortunately lens and camera were intact!)

Hopefully I'll have a replacement soon and that this was just a one off.

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread and to those who have contributed.

Having upgraded to a 40D with grip from a 450D w/o grip I needed something bigger than my Pretty Boy backpack.

Thanks to this thread srs have scored another Muffin Top and i'm very happy!

am looking at the messenger boy 5500 jacobs are selling half price atm.. (29.99) and wonder if it would be ok for my small ammount of gear?
I have a A700 with a 16-105 attached,, a 50mm 1.7 ,,and a 100-300 sigma.. thats all i got at,, but would like a bag that will take that and leave room for maybe 1 more lens and an external flash... reckon the messenger 5500 would do? :)

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=69510

I had the 5500 - I was happy with it, but soon ran out of space.

With a D90 + 70-300 VR attached, I had to rest the 18-105mm (or any other lens) on top of the mounted lens.

Smaller lens mounted, placed lens down could fit along with the rest of your existing kit, but if so - it'll be tight (IMO).

The bags are great, but not 'as big' as Crumpler suggest they are (fitting kit in).

For purposes of future kit - I'd go with the 7500.

hmm... unfortunaly only the 5500 is half price.. i cant really afford £70+ for a bag after reducing my savings to 0 with my A700 purchase ...
was mainly the £30 price that attracted me to the 5500 :)
I was curious Slimshady on how you have yours laid out in the bag?
Im trying to work out how u have your 18-105 rested "on top" of a mounted lens? do you not have yor camera placed with the lens facing strait down into the bag?
Or is the d90 with the 70-300 to long to fit in a downwards position?

i was expecting to place my gear similer to this,, but obviously with lenses to the left hand side on the bag.. not a second camera..
file1223651879.jpg

I have the same bag, it holds an SB900 upright, not sure it compares to your 530...

EDIT: ignore me, seem to have responded to an old post.

Gary.

no one else can comment on the 5500 messenger boy? or can reccomend something esle around the £35 mark that would be a better buy?

Personally I found the 5500 too small when I looked at it in Jacobs. For an extra tenner you could get a second hand muffin top 7500, which I think is a better buy. I'm hugely biased, as I'm selling one at the moment, but I think it's better to have a bit too much room than a bit too less!

hi - i too have the muffin top 7500......its a cool bag. it fits my 4 lenses, DSLR, bits and bobs. I wouldnt go any smaller than this one as it isnt a big bag. i was initially after the "8 million $ home" crumpler bag but they dont sell it anywhere except australia and USA - its a beauty too. Crumplers rock!

Found this old thread as I'm considering the 7500. What experiences does anyone have using these bags in wet weather? It seems the top flap just flips over and doesn't seal around the edges?

Back