Just how good is the Canon 24-70, and how would it sit in my line up?

Edit My Images
Yes
As the title!

I shoot a bit of everything, not professionally, but annoyingly I am a bit of a perfectionist and when I start something its either got to be right or not really bother. Hence thinking about the 24-70... I already have a 75-300 which I want to upgrade ASAP as I dont like it much at all, a Sigma 17-70 which is nice and well built but rather soft, and a couple of manual primes which I use for macro etc.

Ideally what I am thinking is upgrading my body to a 40D, or waiting a year and go to the 60D when it comes out (if its worthy!) and the following lenses to cover pretty much everything, bar the extreme marco:

Canon 10-22 USM
Canon 24-70L f/2.8
Canon 70-300 IS USM

Does it sound good, make sense? With the 24-70 should I need any primes for sharpness or would it make minimal difference? Also it would be as much as I could possibly spend so it would have to be good.

If I dont go towards that route I will probably just keep buying and selling lenses non stop, I thought the sigma 17-70 would make me ecstatic but it hasn't, the IQ just isn't there! I know I need the length of the 300 before you go saying I should get a 200, and I dont want a 100-400 (as fantastic as they are!) as I would rather have a more discreet and smaller, less worry black lens.

As the title!

I shoot a bit of everything, not professionally, but annoyingly I am a bit of a perfectionist and when I start something its either got to be right or not really bother. Hence thinking about the 24-70... I already have a 75-300 which I want to upgrade ASAP as I dont like it much at all, a Sigma 17-70 which is nice and well built but rather soft, and a couple of manual primes which I use for macro etc.
I look forward to your descriptions on the for sale forum!
Ideally what I am thinking is upgrading my body to a 40D, or waiting a year and go to the 60D when it comes out (if its worthy!) and the following lenses to cover pretty much everything, bar the extreme marco:

Canon 10-22 USM
Canon 24-70L f/2.8
Canon 70-300 IS USM

Does it sound good, make sense? With the 24-70 should I need any primes for sharpness or would it make minimal difference? Also it would be as much as I could possibly spend so it would have to be good.

If I dont go towards that route I will probably just keep buying and selling lenses non stop, I thought the sigma 17-70 would make me ecstatic but it hasn't, the IQ just isn't there! I know I need the length of the 300 before you go saying I should get a 200, and I dont want a 100-400 (as fantastic as they are!) as I would rather have a more discreet and smaller, less worry black lens.

Sounds like you are building toward a very good selection. Only thing I'd add is that I've read on here may times that the 85 and the 135 primes are the best for portraits, so you may want to research those?

And 60D? I'd heard no rumours yet. What's rumoured to be the changes from the 50D?

Pip

A friend of mine who shoots Weddings uses the Canon 24-70L f/2.8 and it is capable of some excellent results. It is a good zoom range and f/2.8 should cover most situations. It should also last you a long time.

It comes down to budget and if you can justify it. I always try to buy the best kit I stretch too to avoid buying twice.

Just my 2p

Cheers

I had the 28-70 and have now changed to the 24-70 its a great lens ideal for what I need. I think it is a good walk about lens, nice and sharpe.
the line up you are looking sounds good I dont have any experence of the 70-300, and the 10-20 can only be used with a crop body something you might want to think about if changing bodies in a years time as full frame maybe something you look at

I look forward to your descriptions on the for sale forum!
:LOL: Nothing wrong with them, they work fine but I'm personally just not happy with them!

And 60D? I'd heard no rumours yet. What's rumoured to be the changes from the 50D?
Not a clue- I was just assuming that Canon will replace the 50D in ~a year, and as I'm not sure to upgrade the body yet, when they do upgrade it may just tip me over the edge to buy the latest!

It comes down to budget and if you can justify it. I always try to buy the best kit I stretch too to avoid buying twice.
Thats what I was thinking, I cant afford to buy the whole lot right now but I'd rather save up to get the best and not have to buy again for a few years.

I had the 28-70 and have now changed to the 24-70 its a great lens ideal for what I need. I think it is a good walk about lens, nice and sharpe.
the line up you are looking sounds good I dont have any experence of the 70-300, and the 10-20 can only be used with a crop body something you might want to think about if changing bodies in a years time as full frame maybe something you look at

Thanks, I doubt I will upgrade to FF as using a crop is the cheapest way to get more zoom, and as I occasionally take my camera to shoot motorsports I need zoom.

Back