just how good is the nikon d300 autofocus

Name
scott
Edit My Images
Yes
me thinks its really awsome,
havent used the d300 properly for a while, and since getting a pentax k7 and playing with that no stop. went out saturday and took both cameras the k7 performed well and produce some quailty images with the kit lens on, but i picked the d300 out the bag and it just amazes me how good it truely is.
i took probably about 60 shots of birds in flight and about 99% come out spot on, taken with d300 and siggy 150-500mm apo dg hsm os
heres a couple. not the most interesting of subjects,
but hope you like.
DSC_3169.jpg

DSC_3199.jpg

Last edited:
I went to the Raptor Foundation with a friend recently. She has the D300. The tracking works very well, but there are a few things to watch out for. Sometimes it can be tricked and will focus on a near wing-tip (most noticeable with shallow DOF). The other thing is, as all of the cross-type AF sensors are near the middle, as the light falls, you need to keep the bird in the middle of the frame more to keep the AF reliable. In this last area, my E-3 has an edge as all of the points are biaxial cross-type (11 areas, 44 in total). The tracking on the D300 generally seems superior, but I tend to use user-selected single point anyway so I can ensure I keep the focus on the right bit of the bird.

For good birds in flight, I would have as 40% camera and 60% user skill!

Andy

Back