Just like buses....

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Goldfinches are just about my favourite bird, but getting them into the garden has been hard work. Then, all of sudden we had four of them. I was trying to take some test shots with my old 80-400 VR Nikkor which is a monster to use sometimes. So, this are just a lucky grab.... which explains next-door's out-of-focus pesky drainpipe!

Four Goldies by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Personally, the drainpipe is not the only 'problem' with the photo. Although a grabshot, it is cluttered with none of the birds looking in your direction and only one in focus. Hopefully they'll return when you are more prepared .... and try placing some twigs around there to give a more natural looking perch.

perosnally i have no issue with only one being in focus because its the central front bird. might be a bit different if it was one of the others. the drain pipe is blurred enough not to be a distraction and the wrought iron they are perched on is inoffensive enough not to bother me. actually like the fact the two central birds are facing to the right and the outer ones to the left as well which balances the shot out.
very nice grab

Would love to see one in the garden, four is being greedy;) Nearest one has some lovely detail.

Any tips one what you have used to encourage them?

I agree with newtome, the oof birds dont work making the background a distraction and none are on a natural perch - sorry

Stan

I agree with newtome, the oof birds dont work making the background a distraction and none are on a natural perch - sorry

Stan

No need to apologise Stan... It's all a bit subjective anyway isn't it?

A lovely image Barry, and i too am rather jealous of your 4 birds ;)

I'm still unsure why so many people are against "un-natural" looking perches, i don't see what is so un-natural about a garden bird perching on a garden feeder...... seems perfectly natural to me

What did House Martins do before houses existed, are their nest un-natural as they nest on man made object?

I do however understand there there is un-natural and ugly, like for example birds shot feeding on a wire mesh fatball feeder is generally not the most pleasing, but this shot is far from an ugly feeding station

Last edited:
A lovely image Barry, and i too am rather jealous of your 4 birds ;)

I'm still unsure why so many people are against "un-natural" looking perches, i don't see what is so un-natural about a garden bird perching on a garden feeder...... seems perfectly natural to me

What did House Martins do before houses existed, are their nest un-natural as they nest on man made object?

I do however understand there there is un-natural and ugly, like for example birds shot feeding on a wire mesh fatball feeder is generally not the most pleasing, but this shot is far from an ugly feeding station

Thanks Rich. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I never replied to all of the above comments as I didn't want to appear defensive - I still don't!

I posted this because it pleased me for a number reasons... I love Goldfinches, I enjoyed the pose and the fact all four seemed birds to 'play their part' in forming the image and it was in my Garden!

I know there are purists and their craft is to be admired in producing 'technical, illustrative' perfect shots which could be used in Birding text books. But, this is also a photography forum which I understand embraces art as well technical expertise. From another perspective I would like to know how on earth it could be possible to use a 400mm lens at an aperture of f8, close focussed and achieve a depth of field which renders all four birds as sharp as the closest bird?

IMO there is no problem with this shot at all, Barry. I think it captures goldfinches in gardens vey well and there is a good balance in the composition.

Until this year we had goldfinches in the garden everyday - groups of 10 to 15 were not unusual. Unfortunately, they have left and must say I miss them; they are a delight.

Dave

IMO there is no problem with this shot at all, Barry. I think it captures goldfinches in gardens vey well and there is a good balance in the composition.

Until this year we had goldfinches in the garden everyday - groups of 10 to 15 were not unusual. Unfortunately, they have left and must say I miss them; they are a delight.

Dave

15 ???? And I was quoted as being greedy with 4 :)

try niger seed...they'll find it..
great shot...I like it , bet its a great lens..

Had Niger seed out for 2 yrs not had a single one... need to try sunflower hearts apparently that's what they like my way.

Nice shot considering the unprepared nature and you don't want to scare them off on first visit as they may not come back. (y)

I'm using a mixture of general bird seed, peanut butter (crunchy), cheese, peanuts, fat balls, sunflower hearts & sunflower seeds and I haven't seen one in my garden. I will giver the nyger seeds a go, to see if I have any luck. Perhaps they aern't a common bird in my area?

Had Niger seed out for 2 yrs not had a single one... need to try sunflower hearts apparently that's what they like my way.

Nice shot considering the unprepared nature and you don't want to scare them off on first visit as they may not come back. (y)

Niger seeds are all I've seen them eat in our garden.... trust me, they're spoiled for choice, but only go for the niger seeds!

Sunflower hearts works for me ,hardly any mess unlike other seeds.

I need to get some more - although I've not seen Goldfinches eat them (maybe I'm not around early enough)

Like it Barry, there are too many bird on sticks pictures for my liking, we have loads of goldfinches ours prefer sunflower hearts to niger seed :)
Thansk... and another for the sunflower hearts

never seen a goldfinch in my garden or siskins, untill i bought niger seed , now i get loads...

Yes, I know what you mean ... niger seeds were my first (witnessed) success

Back