Critique Just started experimenting photographing in macro.

"Just started experimenting". Blimey. That's rather good. Nice one. Let's see more. :)

For providing feedback it would be helpful to have Exif data and some information about how you are going about things (eg whether or not you are using flash, diffusion, tripod or some other support, remote release, equipment that doesn't show up in Exif data etc). Without this sort of information comments will necessarily be restricted to the effects you have achieved (composition, clarity, credibility of colours, amount of detail, amount and placement of dof etc), rather than discussing the techniques you are using.

Shot using a Cannon 7D and Cannon 100mm Macro lens. ISO 400, f/9.0 at 1/200 Sec. Setup on a tripod outdoors on Cannock Chase. Image cropped to about 1/8 of original image.

Shot using a Cannon 7D and Cannon 100mm Macro lens. ISO 400, f/9.0 at 1/200 Sec. Setup on a tripod outdoors on Cannock Chase. Image cropped to about 1/8 of original image.

Thanks for the info, especially (for my purposes, thinking as always about getting a larger sensor camera) the info about the amount of the crop.

Interesting too that you used a tripod. Was this shot taken with your hands on or off the camera I wonder? I'm interested because I use a tripod, even when I don't "need" to because I've got a fast enough shutter speed for hand holding or flash as the dominant light source, because I find the tripod helps for framing the shot, especially when as I usually do I take a number of shots of a scene from the same postion/angle, or nearly so. I use both "hands-on" and also "hands-off" (with a wired remote release), depending on the circumstances.

Just out of curiosity, do you use manual or auto focus?

So, nice gear, good looking settings, good result. Don't think you need any help with technique. :)

Excellent Tony really nice light :)
Only thing I would say is to get close enough if possible so that you don't have to crop too much
Not always possible tho and sometimes the subject is too small

Thanks for the info, especially (for my purposes, thinking as always about getting a larger sensor camera) the info about the amount of the crop.

Interesting too that you used a tripod. Was this shot taken with your hands on or off the camera I wonder? I'm interested because I use a tripod, even when I don't "need" to because I've got a fast enough shutter speed for hand holding or flash as the dominant light source, because I find the tripod helps for framing the shot, especially when as I usually do I take a number of shots of a scene from the same postion/angle, or nearly so. I use both "hands-on" and also "hands-off" (with a wired remote release), depending on the circumstances.

Just out of curiosity, do you use manual or auto focus?

So, nice gear, good looking settings, good result. Don't think you need any help with technique. :)

My hands were off the camera, using a 2 second timer. Using the macro and beings close really exagerated camera shake especially as I also manually focused the image.

Amazing image and has convinced me that the canon 100mm is the next lens to get. Is it the L series or the standard USM?

Back