Just surprised myself with agfa vista plus film

Wow, these are lovely results. I must give stand developing a go, when I get some new developer, it seems to produce lovely smooth pics.

Following on from the push experiment in b&w chems and the results that Nick (RaglanSurf) had pushing the film through Jessops, I presently have a part roll of vista hanging to dry which was shot at 1600 and devd C-41 at home using a "water bath" method of maintianing temperature.

There are definite results...reasonable ones by the looks ( exposure wise anyway, as they were very much just grab snapshots to experiment with).

My impatience will have me scanning etc asap so watch this space if you're interested in seeing just how versatile our favourite quid film can be..........

These are great Asha, can't wait to see more so i am now watching the thread in eargerness, although i can't see Nicks ones, i'm assuming it's either gremlins or they've been removed which is a shame as i's be tempted to mess around like this myself but would have to rely on them being done at boots or something

I'm impressed what you have managed to get out of this film especially dev'ing in b&w chems and I think they have an interesting look. I accidentally pushed a roll of Vista a while back, I didn't notice that the camera wasn't set to DX setting :bang: But once I'd started I thought I'd carry on, the roll was processed by Jessops (remember them?) and they didn't seem to sure about pushing it to 1600 and they did come out a bit on the dark side but most were salvageable.

Nikon F5 Agfa Vista 1600-5
by Raglansurf, on Flickr
8238457966_89c0b60223_z.jpg

8238457966_89c0b60223.jpg

Nikon F5 Agfa Vista 1600-24 by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Nikon F5 Agfa Vista 1600-27
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Overall not too bad for cheap film.

I actually think this has come out better than it does shooting it at 200 lol...

Quick low res scans. Tiny bit of sharpening at scanning stage, otherwise no PP hence the horrid colour cast, dust etc etc .

A few minutes adjusting curves etc can give usable images so if struggling for light/shutter speed in a colour shoot then I wouldn't hesitate to push the film although i wouldn't shoot at 1600 as the norm.

Just for info the film was devd in a Tetenal C-41 kit @ 30°C adding 2 minutes to the standard developing time to allow for the push.

1.. View attachment 1698

2.. View attachment 1699

3.. View attachment 1700

4.. View attachment 1701

5.. View attachment 1702

Last edited:
Asha, I like #1 very much,concentration on the eyes to hands looks just beautiful and the LH side gives a feeling of a crowd watching.

Well Asha those have come out exceptionally well, what a cracking little film it is. Now as we know it converts very well to mono and I'm thinking the first one would look rather good as a b&w.;)

Asha, I like #1 very much,concentration on the eyes to hands looks just beautiful and the LH side gives a feeling of a crowd watching.

Thanks for your comments guys...If you ( or anyone else) wants to have a play with these shots then please feel free to do so as like I say, I've done no PP as such.

Andy if you wish to b&w one or several then be my guest.

Looks like Agfa vista is the dog's danglies. Glad I have several rolls :)

Last edited:
Nowt wrong with that Andy(y)

Can I send all my scans to you for PP please? I only have a few......................................... thousand :puke: :D

These are blinkin' brilliant!

I've been tempted to push some tmax 400 to 1600 but been a bit hesitant.

Thanks Asha, you've convinced me to give it a go.

Nowt wrong with that Andy(y)

Can I send all my scans to you for PP please? I only have a few......................................... thousand :puke: :D

Mmmmm...errrr....I don't know about that, I'm doin' me nails or hair or summink.

These are blinkin' brilliant!

I've been tempted to push some tmax 400 to 1600 but been a bit hesitant.

Thanks Asha, you've convinced me to give it a go.

I'm in the midst of rescanning atm with suitable curve and colour adjustments.

As Nick find out with his results through Jessops, a few have come out a little dark even with the 2 minute additional dev time. Maybe a bit longer in the dev may offer even better results as the tetenal kit suggests 30 seconds extra for each stop pushed at 38°C ...I devd these at 30°C !!

All that said, an adjustment of exposure in PP doesn't look to be detrimental to the overall end result.

As for pushing TMax....I recently picked up some to try myself as feedback suggests it is better for pushing than Tri X wish i've tried at 1600....ok results but more contrasty than what i was expecting tbh. Will be interesting to compare the two side by side when i get around to it.

Mmmmm...errrr....I don't know about that, I'm doin' me nails or hair or summink.

Getting yerself ready for a "girlie" night out then:naughty: ................. get down 'ere duckie an' ya borrow me rollers :D:D

Here's a quick rescan / retouch of one above for comparison. As you can see a decent result can be had by spending 5 mins tweaking at scanning stage along with a some dust removal / reframing.

View attachment 1735

Here's a quick rescan / retouch of one above for comparison. As you can see a decent result can be had by spending 5 mins tweaking at scanning stage along with a some dust removal / reframing.

View attachment 1735

Asha, that makes the stand really pop,very good indeed.(y)

I know this is a bit of a noob question but as I know very little about the technical side of developing I'll ask it anyway.
If you shoot a film at more than the box speed, as Asha has done here, when you send it off to the developers I presume you need to tell them this so they can develop accordingly and I also presume this will cost more. Does that sound right?

Andy

I know this is a bit of a noob question but as I know very little about the technical side of developing I'll ask it anyway.
If you shoot a film at more than the box speed, as Asha has done here, when you send it off to the developers I presume you need to tell them this so they can develop accordingly and I also presume this will cost more. Does that sound right?

Andy

Glad you asked that as that's what i was trying to ask earlier

Yes. You'd have to tell whoever you sent it off to that you pushed it to whatever ASA you had set on the dial. This may or may not be easy for some labs as I don't know whether the automated machines read the DX code from the film and choose the time from that. I reckon covering the label and writing on ASA whatever would reduce the chance of it being missed and devved normally.

Yes. You'd have to tell whoever you sent it off to that you pushed it to whatever ASA you had set on the dial. This may or may not be easy for some labs as I don't know whether the automated machines read the DX code from the film and choose the time from that. I reckon covering the label and writing on ASA whatever would reduce the chance of it being missed and devved normally.

Also they may/will charge you extra, because of what was said above.

Asha, that makes the stand really pop,very good indeed.(y)

Thank you Brian, oops sorry, Richard :D

PP isn't my most pleasurable passtime tbh. If a few minutes gives me the result I want then cool but i cannot be doing with spending a long time trying to "salvage" a shot.

Thank you Brian, oops sorry, Richard :D

PP isn't my most pleasurable passtime tbh. If a few minutes gives me the result I want then cool but i cannot be doing with spending a long time trying to "salvage" a shot.

Neither is replying to the correct post,it was steveo_ mcg that called me Brian,not you.:D:D:D.

Also in a different thread. :)

Last edited:
I found this post a few years after everyone else. Great to see that Agfa Vista 200 can be pushed like that if needed. This link may be useful for some of you who were talking about telling labs you'd pushed film. See www.filmdev.co.uk – they develop C41 process films with no extra charge for uprating. But, you'd need to talk to them perhaps if it was more than a couple of stops uprated. They're friendly though and very economic – around £3/roll for dev + a balanced scan large enough for web use, up to about £12 for dev + 19mp scan (5400x3600). Once they know your work, I guess especially if you become a regular client, they'll happily work with you for specific needs. Post free for returning negs. Image files delivered over the web. They have a couple of blog posts on their site about Agfa Vista 200 too.

Back