Just trying to figure out how it is done.

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I watch a good few videos on YouTube, and the camera operator is videoing a person as they are walking around busy streets. The person doing the videoing is ahead of their subject, who is talking to the camera while walking. I am just trying to figure out, how is the camera operator doing it, they can't be walking backwards, or do they have a camera strapped on their back possibly?

I don't mean TV crews etc, I am talking about YouTubers, who follow their mates about, while they record them.

When I’ve done that it’s either walking forward with the camera facing backward or walking backwards and someone else guiding me where to walk.

When I’ve done that it’s either walking forward with the camera facing backward or walking backwards and someone else guiding me where to walk.

I watch " Rate My Takeaway" on YouTube, and I get the impression there is only the camera operator, and the host. I just can't figure out how the camera work is so steady, and how he/she manages to keep the subject in frame? All this while walking at a reasonable pace, even around City Centres. :thinking:

With a flip out screen on a gimbal and with some practice it’s quite easy to walk forwards and film backwards.

They could be filming it themselves using a 'selfie stick'; there are cameras out there with software that erases the stick - the giveaway is that you can see by their hand that they're holding something (but it's not there).

They could be filming it themselves using a 'selfie stick'; there are cameras out there with software that erases the stick - the giveaway is that you can see by their hand that they're holding something (but it's not there).
Not unless he has got three hands, as both of his hands are visible. Plus, the camera operator is a good few feet away.

Reactions: Sky
With a flip out screen on a gimbal and with some practice it’s quite easy to walk forwards and film backwards.
Yes, just thinking about it now, and that is how it must be done. Sometimes the most obvious thing, is not always obvious. :)(y)

I watch " Rate My Takeaway" on YouTube, and I get the impression there is only the camera operator, and the host. I just can't figure out how the camera work is so steady, and how he/she manages to keep the subject in frame? All this while walking at a reasonable pace, even around City Centres. :thinking:

The operator has a Sony A series camera, it has 5 axis in body stabilisation , you often see him/her in the reflection of the shops and cars and it’s not on a gimbal.
Just decent equipment and a capable operator.

Reactions: Nod
The operator has a Sony A series camera, it has 5 axis in body stabilisation , you often see him/her in the reflection of the shops and cars and it’s not on a gimbal.
Just decent equipment and a capable operator.
I have watched most of the video clips on their channel, I must not have been paying attention, as I had been watching out for glass reflections, in the hopes of spotting equipment. Thanks for the info. :) (y)

Back