Critique Just two shots:

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these two recently - I'm still working on both my photography and processing skills and thought I'd post here in the hope of receiving some feedback / constructive critiscm please?

The first was taken in the Fairy Glen just outside Betws-y-Coed (good job I'm typing and not attempting to pronounce :p )

The second was taken just last week near Inverary in Scotland.

Last edited:
I know the location for number 2 but number 1 stands out for me. (y)

#1 best of the 2 imo, the exposure and saturation gives it a surreal quality..#2 is ok compositionally but I don't like the pp, too many blown highlights and some weird colours

Robin

Picture #2 is too processed. The first thing that hit me was that the sky looked almost grainy and like Robin said there are some odd colours.

#1 is good. Nice composition and almost a mystical feel to it. Nice reflections good colour and balance to the photo.

Hi Stuart, #1 is a stunner, real middle earth stuff, but #2 is a bit over cooked for me.

Geoff

No.1 for me Stuart a cracking shot,

I like the Fairy Glen shot, especially the composition which is a little different to what we usually see. I find it quite a difficult place to capture so well done.

Number two does nothing for me I'm afraid :(

Both look rather (deliberately?) overprocessed to me, but I think the first gets away with it because of the 'Lord of the Rings' feel to it. I don't know the location but I can imagine it's not easy to do justice to. The second looks too much like it should be the cover illustration for a fantasy novel, not a photograph.

The first is lovely, for me possibly brighten up the shadows around the corners only a little but the full size upload is very, very nice. The second for me is too overdone, amost like it was overprocessed to make up for the light, but a good idea as the composition is not bad at all though the bottom of the bridge seems cut off? It also has a blown highlight that catches my eye.

Picture #2 is too processed. The first thing that hit me was that the sky looked almost grainy and like Robin said there are some odd colours.

#1 is good. Nice composition and almost a mystical feel to it. Nice reflections good colour and balance to the photo.

Spot on critique of the two images in my opinion.

First of all a huge thanks for all the replies and comments guys :)

My first shot I'd deliberately added a very slight vignette in order to try and draw the eye into the shot focussing on the gorge itself, and then the shafts of sunlight filtering through. This one took a substantial amount of clambering over rocks along with many hours of processing in order to try and get something I'm relatively happy with so I do thank you all for your thoughts and feedback.

My second shot - I honestly wasn't too sure if I'd "over cooked" the processing or not? I know I'm still not 100% happy with the sky and agree I may have cut off a bit of the reflection. You live and learn though eh?

Last edited:
You do indeed live and learn...did you find the rocks at Fairy Glen 'greasy'?

It's bloody slippery down there!

You do indeed live and learn...did you find the rocks at Fairy Glen 'greasy'?

It's bloody slippery down there!

Actually no - I found it tricky and awkward but not greasy. To tell the truth I've found the Falls of Dochart (Killin here in Scotland) much, much more slippy and greasy. I've almost fallen in quite a few times and I've yet to get a shot there I'm happy with :(

Wales has so many gorgeous locations for photography I cant wait to get back there next year :)

And we're looking forward to having you ;)

You must have been there in a dry'ish spell...those rocks can be a nightmare!

And we're looking forward to having you ;)

You must have been there in a dry'ish spell...those rocks can be a nightmare!

It was Sept 19th when I took that shot - it was dry but very misty early in the mornings. We were based in a log cabin in Horeshoe Pass (Llangollen) but traveled around Wales quite a bit. Rest assured we'll be back as the Stables Lodge / Royal Oak Hotel in Betws-y-Coed serves the most phenomenal burger I have ever experienced. :D

Until next year I'll be posting shots from around Scotland - I've a few trips planned already and I look forward to sharing my shots here and receiving any feedback the comes my way :)

As above, really enjoy the first shot, it's processed but very well and does have a fairy tale feel to it. Only a slight criticism that the outer shadows in the upper corners seem to go to virtually black which is a slight distraction.

2 is clearly over processed, less is more!!

Back