Juvenile Heron with fish

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to get out for an hour today to test my new lens, will take a bit of getting used to with regards weight and focal length but please with the first attempts even if I did chop its legs off in framing.

Juvenile Heron with fish by Adam Sibbald, on Flickr

How you finding the weight of the 600f4 vr? It's another 1kg+ heavier than the 500f4. I'm pretty much used to the weight of handholding the 500f4 but it's taken while :)

It was first day out today it’s a beast! I had a 500f4 so remember that taking a while it’s not some thing I can see much handholding going on will be tripod and gimbal, monopod or beanbag with very occasional handholding I would think

Morning Adam ...........image looks sharp .. sometimes difficult until you get used to the 600 ........ I know when I first got fine, the nin-VR, I was disappointed until I'd used it a few times and figured out how to refine my technique.

Composition - just feels "restricted" to me ........ I would like to see more space around the bird ... left and below .. whilst sticking to the usual, "space to look into"

I realise that it is probably a distance shop, but all looks good from the detail point of view

Colours look good for the Heron

Last edited:
Morning Adam ...........image looks sharp .. sometimes difficult until you get used to the 600 ........ I know when I first got fine, the nin-VR, I was disappointed until I'd used it a few times and figured out how to refine my technique.

Composition - just feels "restricted" to me ........ I would like to see more space around the bird ... left and below .. whilst sticking to the usual, "space to look into"

I realise that it is probably a distance shop, but all looks good from the detail point of view

Thanks Bill I’m not used to being so close to Herons and typically today this young one was just there in front of us very close in Heron terms which is typical I’m not used to being too close, also got carried away and excited and didn’t notice I’d chopped the legs off until too late, is there a shutter speed you will not drop below when taking this type of shot? All feedback welcome.

Thanks Bill I’m not used to being so close to Herons and typically today this young one was just there in front of us very close in Heron terms which is typical I’m not used to being too close, also got carried away and excited and didn’t notice I’d chopped the legs off until too late, is there a shutter speed you will not drop below when taking this type of shot? All feedback welcome.

You have the VR Adam ....... mine is the last of the "old" non-VR ............ 90% of the time I'm on a tripod ....... 10% bean bag ............. I have a D750 and D810 ........ I don't really worry to much about highish ISO's, but try to keep it below ISO 2000 especially for shots that I know I will crop heavily .......... just looked at my data .......20% were at 1/800th and 50% at 1/1000th/1/1250th ......I don't think that I knowing go below 1/800th and always try to be above ..... ISO is all over the place, but in the range 400 to 1600 ..... and up to 3200 ...... but as I said .. tripod mounted.

When I am taking "birds" with the 600, 50% of the time I have the 1,4TC attached ....... and most of the time I have the 300mm f4 PF with me on the other body to use hand held ....... I find the 1,7TC works well will the 300 PF.

I'm sure that you will love the 600 ... but as I have said before ...... IMHO it's an additional lens for "birding" as it is quite restrictive because of it's size.

Here's my Heron with frog ......... a crop

Heron.jpg

Last edited:
You have the VR Adam ....... mine is the last of the "old" non-VR ............ 90% of the time I'm on a tripod ....... 10% bean bag ............. I have a D750 and D810 ........ I don't really worry to much about highish ISO's, but try to keep it below ISO 2000 especially for shots that I know I will crop heavily .......... just looked at my data .......20% were at 1/800th and 50% at 1/1000th/1/1250th ......I don't think that I knowing go below 1/800th and always try to be above ..... ISO is all over the place, but in the range 400 to 1600 ..... and up to 3200 ...... but as I said .. tripod mounted.

When I am taking "birds" with the 600, 50% of the time I have the 1,4TC attached ....... and most of the time I have the 300mm f4 PF with me on the other body to use hand held ....... I find the 1,7TC works well will the 300 PF.

I'm sure that you will love the 600 ... but as I have said before ...... IMHO it's an additional lens for "birding" as it is quite restrictive because of it's size.
Thanks again Bill im using D500 so can see I’m already at TC levels for full frame users, thankfully I have a 70-200f4 and 300PF too so will be making sure at least one of them is with me at all times and go back to sizing peak designs clip pro on shoulder so I always have a smaller combo to hand while walking to spot, once again thanks for extra info it’s appreciated

I was in the exact same position when I got the 500f4. It takes a little time get used to the weight of it and finding what works best for you in terms of technique. I much prefer to handhold where I can as you get much more freedom especially with birding.

Back