Juveniles I.D. please.

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Unable to decide what these are...going with Juveniles but thats about it.There were about 100 in the flock.
Keith(y)

Thanks Oh Green one.....
I can turn anything into anything else...the more I dig the more confused I get.
In my (old) books and on line (RSPB) they DO look like House Martins ..the tail being very like.
But these were on an access road next to agravel Pit and they were also skimming the water (RSPB Sand Martins)as well as landing in the gravel on the road to eat something.
The brown band is throwing me as well.
Heres another couple to confuse me even more.....like the pink bootees though.
Keith

The top one is a Swallow juv and the lower one is a House Martin... :D

Sand Martins do not have the white rump... ;)

:p

Thanks Both ...I am defo going back to try and get a decent shot...of anything.

Keith(y)

I would have said swallows

Swallows have the chestnut chin and dark chest... as in the top pic of the two above Kaz... ;

It is quite possible, and even probable that in a large flock of hirundines you will get a mix of House Martins and Swallows and even Sand Martins... especially at this time of year when they will be feeding up for the long haul back to SA... :D

Swallows do skim the water to drink as do the others... :shrug:

And don't forget to get a good look at their bums...

...or at least get some better shots........just found out...i had the I.S. turned off all this week......
Keith :bang: :thumbsdown: :bonk: :wave:

Swallows have the chestnut chin and dark chest... as in the top pic of the two above Kaz... ;

It is quite possible, and even probable that in a large flock of hirundines you will get a mix of House Martins and Swallows and even Sand Martins... especially at this time of year when they will be feeding up for the long haul back to SA... :D

Swallows do skim the water to drink as do the others... :shrug:

Thanks Ven I will remember that info(y)

The top one is a Swallow juv and the lower one is a House Martin... :D

Sand Martins do not have the white rump... ;)

And of course the tail is deeply ( elongated) forked with swallows and only slightly with the "martins"
house martins have a white patch sand martins don't
( as the great green one has already pointed out (y))

Thannks everyone another great response with awesome info.......

BTW ..I enjoyed waiting for them to land in front of me,while lying down and they were going just over my head at 100 MPH ....BRILL.

keith:clap:

Back