Karen in the Woods

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a sample of some of the shots I got yesterday in the local woods. It was just before dusk and quite overcast, all the lighting was created with 3 speedlights on stands, one with an umbrella, one (from behind right) with a snoot, and one with no modifier (front right,) pointing at the ground.

I was happy with the results - although they still look more like a film set than real daylight so I have some work to do to perfect things. Consistant overexposure in places seems to have been the main problem in this shoot.

I am pleased with the progress I am making, it is less than a year since I made this thread here asking for advice on using a flash :LOL:

Anyway, still a long way to go...

5659112587_5b04d3c031_b.jpg

5659112389_192814682f_b.jpg

5659111773_b7b774fb35_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi.
Well I aint no expert. But I must say, that I like them very much(y). So does the wife (her name is karen as well)

I'm not a big fan of soft processing, but I quite like #1 #3

I think the thing that lets the images down is the model and the clothing.
Get rid of the hat, black cardi and a more plain, but colourful dress (keep the boots).

Give her something to make her laugh or animated and you're flyin' :)

Not sure about the glowing trees and grass with this PP, but for me the biggest problem is the overpowered light to camera right which is blowing the highlight on her leg mostly.

I'm not a big fan of soft processing, but I quite like #1 #3

I think the thing that lets the images down is the model and the clothing.
Get rid of the hat, black cardi and a more plain, but colourful dress (keep the boots).

Give her something to make her laugh or animated and you're flyin' :)

Lol, the model is my other half, we weren't planning on taking any pics of her so that's just what she was wearing at the time. No chance of losing the cardi because she was freezing. :LOL:

Not sure about the glowing trees and grass with this PP, but for me the biggest problem is the overpowered light to camera right which is blowing the highlight on her leg mostly.

Not sure what you mean about the glowing grass/tree in PP.

You're right about the prob caused by the right light though.

Not sure what you mean about the glowing grass/tree in PP.

You're right about the prob caused by the right light though.

Oh, in No.1 and No.3 mostly, the post processing results in the greens looking almost nuclear on my screen (Mac) which is closely matched to Loxley's print output so shouldn't be too far wrong.

I don't mind the hat at all btw ;)

Might need my monitor calibrating then. Although it was done a couple of months ago.

Ignoring the obvious blown highlights from the flash, these look like they could be from some fairytale animation of the sort the Japanese seem to like. They are IMHO a bit too over processed so not my cup of tea I'm afraid, if I had to choose however #3 would be my pick!

Andrew, they look very lively on my screen too!

Last edited:
Can't say I'm a fan of the proccesing.Any chance you can post up the pics before any work has been done on them?

Can't say I'm a fan of the proccesing.Any chance you can post up the pics before any work has been done on them?

Certainly, I'll post them when I get home. More than happy for advice on the PP. I was looking for a fairytale/surreal look though.

Certainly, I'll post them when I get home. More than happy for advice on the PP. I was looking for a fairytale/surreal look though.

You have definitely captured the fairytale/surreal look but I think it just needs a little less in pp..look forward to seeing the pics straight from camera. ;-)

Back