Karl Taylor DVD's??

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondered if anyone has done Karl Taylors 3 dvd's which he is advertising on his website?

Ive been quite impressed with his site and the free videos available on there and have been considering buying the 3 dvds for £59.90.

I've heard nothing but praise, but look forward to your review.
I suppose it depends where you are with your photography? :shrug:

Very true mate. Id still class myself as a novice although i have been on a 1 day intorduction to DSLR course in Notts where i learnt about apeture, shutter speed, ISO etc etc. I shoot in either A, S or full manual mode too.

Hopefully the dvd's will be with me early next week and ill do a review on each one as i watch them. ;)

mine arrived a couple of days ago
only watched the 1st one up to now, introduction to photography
very impressed, only dont follow his habit of slamming his gear down on hard surfaces LOL. watched him put his 1d and 85L on a rough wall ouch.
in the early minutes when he is showing changing shutter and aperture on different models the camera is not panned in close enough to show what is happening and a few of his early shots of a model the same again , camera not panned in close enough. but after that its fine
easy to follow and good info.
just about to put 2nd disc on when football finishes

mine arrived a couple of days ago
only watched the 1st one up to now, introduction to photography
very impressed...........

Do you think you've learnt anything or improved your understanding of photography? Has it improved your photo taking yet or is it a bit too early to tell?

I bought my first dslr in March and bought the first dvd a within a couple of weeks and think it helped quite a lot. I referred back to it a few times when my pictures didn't turn out quite the way I was hoping they would - and yes I think it definitely helped me to understand what to do and just as important, why I was doing it. I haven't invested in the next ones yet as I've been too busy putting the first one into practice. But definitely hope to get them sometime. By the way his site is good as well, I've found some of his hints very useful.

Do you think you've learnt anything or improved your understanding of photography? Has it improved your photo taking yet or is it a bit too early to tell?

ive watched the 1st 2 now
yes they are very good and its easier to see how things work in a video than in a book ie : rule of thirds , composition etc
i was up in the peak district yesterday and i found myself trying to put in to practice what i had learned . things like were to position the horizon etc

one thing that is frustrating and i mentioned it regarding the 1st dvd. is when he takes a shot, he will say things " if you look at this image this is how you . do this or do that . you see the image on the back of his screen but the camera does not pan in close enough to see it close up , its really annoying
but that aside they are very good, you also get a 30 day money back guarantee so you can always try them out
ive been doing photography for a long time now, and i have enough books and magazines to fill a library , but its much better to see it on dvd, and ive still learned a lot even in the beginners one

I too have these on order (Purchased on Saturday) so I'm eager for them to arrive. He looks like a really creative photographer and it's nice to see behind the scenes. I'm always glued to threads by Edinburgh Gary showing how he works and the space he's created and I think this DVD series offers that at the next level as well as the training aspect.

Oh hurry, hurry, hurry

mine took a week or just over (i think)
they come from guernsey . 2 in one jiffy bag and one on its own

I've also got these earmarked. Even though I had a fair bit of training some ten odd years ago, I neglected many areas of photography that I am now interested in, and I've been really impressed by the sample video's of his on YouTube (they work as an excellent and compelling advert - other companies should make note of Karl's internet marketing strategy).

I espeically like the content and sample vids from the landscape disc, there is some great coverage of him taking some stunning shots.

mine took a week or just over (i think)
they come from guernsey . 2 in one jiffy bag and one on its own

Thanks for the heads up Mark.

Really keen to get started on these. Being stuck with your head in a book or off out shooting on your own it's difficult to tell if you are making any progress or doing things the way you should me. I think seeing someone else work will help build some confidence in me.

I'm also trying to get out more and meet other photographers..

you are right, its good to see something in action as opposed to in a book, no matter how good the book is.
i did however get a book that came today, lots of people recommended it. understanding exposure by brian peterson. .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understandi...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282673584&sr=8-1

make sure its this new version and not the older copy
only read the 1st two chapters but it makes compelling reading and is very easy to follow.
that along with the karl taylor dvd,s and you will be shooting like a pro in no time at all. they make a nice combination. wish i had found them years ago. everything is now starting to make sense.
if you search the net for brian peterson there are loads of video clips of his around. a lot being on you tube, he did bring out a dvd that does not seem to be on sale any more. i have a copy and that is very good as well.

In case anyone comes across this thread looking for a review of the service I just wanted to say that my DVDs arrived today (can't wait to get home). I ordered them very late on Saturday evening (around midnight) so this was very quick.

Once I've gone through them I may post a full review, at the very least I'll add something to my progress thread.

In case anyone comes across this thread looking for a review of the service I just wanted to say that my DVDs arrived today (can't wait to get home). I ordered them very late on Saturday evening (around midnight) so this was very quick.

Once I've gone through them I may post a full review, at the very least I'll add something to my progress thread.

wow that was quick, beat my delivery
look forward to reading what you think of them. id do a review myself, but not good at that kind of thing.
be interesting to see if you pick up on the same points as i did , on the negative bits. the bits that could be improved on.
ill wait to see what you post before i mention it.
oh and the understanding exposure book is a must.
i cant put it down

I really like Bryan Petersons stuff, I've got his 'Perfect Picture' dvd and it's great for beginners. I too follow Karl Taylor on Youtube and Bryan too for that matter. Great guys to get tips from.

Just my opinion of course. :)

My DVDs have turned up and ill be watching the 1st with interest tonight. Im actually off to the coast for 2 days tomorrow so hopfeully ill be able to put some of the stuff i hope to learn from the Introduction to Photography into practice.

I too will leave a decent review of each dvd as i watch it and ill post some pictures i take too see how things have helped me :)

watch this space :D

Got mine the other week , and watch all 3 almost back to back , Most of the content was informative and bits where following him about with a camera , parts made me feel like I had watched the dvd before but this is due to his marketing and showing alot of the best bits in his adverts.

Once my post reach 100 they will be going for sale on the forum ( the first 3 in the set )

Does anyone know where I can pick these up used? Just trying to save a little!

Is it worth buying Karl Taylor's DVD considering that I am a deaf person? Does he talk way too much? No subtitles on DVD?

im debating whether to get the four in a bundle deal... £90 ish + fees apparently

i rang the number and the guy couldnt tell me what the fees actually were from guernsey.... i believe its just vat so about £107

the others in set dont appeal to me (the video /compact cameras)

did any of the other purchasers get stung for vat after the purchase or was additional vat not added??

When you go through to payment it adds VAT on in the checkout

I'm not eligible yet :(

Back