Karlu Photographic

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
They are a small company and have been around for a while, since at least 2002. Their liquidity keeps jumping from positive to negative which may indicate cash flow problems, but they've survived through it all for quite some time so I'm guessing they either have good creditor terms or external reserves that can be called upon (Director loans, overdrafts etc).

I would guess they are an honest firm although I may be slightly worried with regard to a warranty offered and if it can be honoured in future times. If it's manufacturers then you should be fine.

Of course accounts can be operated and financial statements can be prepared in such a way to provide a more positive or negative appearance, depending on what is more important to the firm (i.e. to obtain credit, or to avoid/reduce tax liablitiy etc) so I'd always treat financial information as a contributing factor in making a decision and not a sole deciding factor.

I'd be happy enough using them, but I would only use a VISA Debit or VISA Credit card. (y)

I've bought a collapsible studio background, stand and a couple of flashgun modifiers from them in the past year and was very impressed with their service. The background was out of stock so they kept me well informed for the few weeks it took until the next shipment arrived and didn't debit my card until they had it in stock. I would thoroughly recommend them, but for large purchases online I always use my Barclaycard.

HTH
Neil

Many thanks Graham and Neil just the information I wanted.
I'm going to purchased a Bowens studio kit so warranty would be covered by manufacturer and as suggested I always pay by credit card.
Many Thanks
Dave

From my experience of dealing with them I'd hazard a guess that they are dropshippers, rather than a company that carry any stock.

I have used them twice and Both times they have had the goods in stock, delivered next day and given very good service.

The time I used them they said they had the goods in stock and they were delivered next day, but the goods were shipped direct from Johnsons Photopia, with Karlu's name as the buyer and mine on the delivery address. They also didn't want to become involved when there was a problem with the order, directing me straight to JP.

Last edited:
They also didn't want to become involved when there was a problem with the order said:
Hmm! makes me think twice, Photopia is near me so may give them a ring
Thanks for the extra info.
Dave

I recently bought some modelling lamps through Karlu. After claiming CE certification on their adverts it was immediately clear these were not certified on arrival and so they were returned. Cheap lamps get what you pay for, I should have known better.
However, I have never had the misfortune to deal with such an aggressive and unpleasant company before and after complaint to PayPal, PayPal found in my favour and refunded the costs. Karlu threatened to take me court if I stated their lamps were not CE so have lodged a complaint with trading standards and look forward to further discussion.
What amazes me even more than the appalling customer service is the level of stunning positive feedback for Karlu on some sites, almost too good to be true! Maybe I just dealt with them on a really really bad day?

Karlu Photographic is a company interested in sales only. If, like me, you run into problems with equipment purchased, they have little or no interested in after sales service. They will spend time trying to find flaws with your complaint and one way or another will send you back to the manufacturer of the goods directly rather than take responsibility themselves. Indeed, be prepared for an abundance of cynicism, sarcasm and a complete lack of interest/empathy in any issue you may have with goods they sell to you. I have given them their third and last chance. Shop elsewhere, you have been warned!

Back